Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default running gear spindles

Id like to make 2 or 3 sets of 8 ton running gears (for stack wagons). Im having trouble tho finding axle spindles rated above 3k pounds/pair. Anyone know of a source for these?

8 ton axles...hmmm.... big truck and trailer parts?
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    8 ton axles...hmmm.... big truck and trailer parts?
    Yeah like out of a cement mixer chassis. I rented a tow dolly and it had spindles that turned and thats what they looked like...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Southwest tire and wheel, dallas axle, google trailer supplies. Here in north Texas we have a variety of suppliers for stuff like that. Up to 7k per pair are pretty reasonable. Above that, not so reasonable.

Thnx! Was thinking along the lines of junkyard scavenge but then thats not a constant source of parts. Eventually Id like to make several wagons.

Harv...thx for the lead. Ill look into that.

Very much appreciate all the helps.

ETA: Just for the record Im only interested in the spindles. The axles for these wagons are heavy walled tube and the spindle is welded onto that.

Ya know, on second thought...I assumed, incorrectly I think, 8 ton gear meant 8 ton spindles. After some thought Im not sure that assumption is correct. I think it means the gear has a gross capacity of 8 tons which would be evenly, or mostly so, distributed over 4 spindles. That means each spindle would only have to support a ton. Am I understanding this correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by HayFarmer View Post
    Ya know, on second thought...I assumed, incorrectly I think, 8 ton gear meant 8 ton spindles. After some thought Im not sure that assumption is correct. I think it means the gear has a gross capacity of 8 tons which would be evenly, or mostly so, distributed over 4 spindles. That means each spindle would only have to support a ton. Am I understanding this correctly?
    Look at what you're trying to duplicate. Generally this is what I look for when bidding building a trailer for someone that wants another similar to the one they already have or have had.

Eight lug wheels usually means a seven thousand pound axle or larger axle. If the axle is a floater, oil bath, then it's eight thousand or bigger.

Six lug can mean a six thousand, a fifty four hundred, or a thirty five hundred lb axle. If the axle tube is small then I know it's a thirty five hundred with a six lug hub because you can get thirty five hundred with all the popular hub patterns except eight lug.

You can buy the spindles along with the backing plates and hubs piecemeal. I've found buying a complete axle cheaper when you add it all up.

Thx Harv...

After my last post I poked around and found specs for a wagon I have...Horst Welding running gear. Their hubs are 6 bolt but are rated at 2T. Spindles are 1.75" c1045 hot rolled. So, I think I have enough infos to proceed. One things for sure, this gear is built like a tank, very heavy. I think I'll just copy it as much as possible.