Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

hey i watched your video its good tacks but go up 1-2 on power (volts) but leave the wire speed and when you tack rotate the torch in a circle motion and hold it down for 1-2 sec more than you were for tacks

itll put more bead down get full fusion and will wet the bead out more

also since you were welding on a piece of plywood get a piece of steel or copper of a heavy gauge to use as a heat sink and it will really help with sinking the heat through the metal
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA

Nice video Shnitzlhaus - if you get tired of working on the Jeep you can always start making movies.

I would get off the plywood (unless you just like the smell of burning wood). At least a couple of clamps in place of the magnets to give yourself some room down under the work-piece. IMH(inexperienced)O - you still need more penetration and a good join backside. I would count - "one thousand, two thousand" - or even burn through a few times to to get a feel for what's too much - just watch out for rolling ***** of fire.

cncmachinist sounds right-on to me. Wish I had a 1946 Bridgeport (or any Bridgeport for that matter)!
    Last edited by gusb; 07-15-2010 at 08:32 PM.

you wont believe this is bought two at auction for 1200 a piece with old kurt vise that still work

the back of the machine on the manufactures plate its stamped USACE or united states army corps of engineers 1946
    Last edited by cncmachinist; 07-15-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA

The basic design worked, and Bridgeport didn't mess with it. I have to respect that! I've run into a few MT mechanics that have worked on some pretty old ones as well. I'd love to have some old Bridgeport, Cincinatti Bickford, or LeBlonde stuff.
    Sometimes there's no second chances.

I haven't actually touched a vertical mill in many years - you almost could say it was another life

They seem to be reasonably priced these days, but I haven't found much around here (SF Bay Area, CA). A few local tool shops, etc. have my phone number in case something reasonable comes up.

I'd love to find an old Hardinge tool room lathe too, but realize that's really an impossible dream.

Quote Originally Posted by cncmachinist View Post
    you wont believe this is bought two at auction for 1200 a piece with old kurt vise that still work

the back of the machine on the manufactures plate its stamped USACE or united states army corps of engineers 1946

I have a taig lathe and sherline 5400 mill. weee.

Gus check out my youtube channel. I make movies whenever I can its another hobby.

so I did another attempt. this time I tried rotating the torch and took down my wire speed some.

only thing, it warps way to easy. I am thinking when I work on my jeep I will do some anchoring welds like that then turn it down some where I can control it easier.

im sure it would hold.

ok there starting to get into the butter zone of the welds

check your gas theres burn on the sides of your welds it could be set to low
    leave the wire speed its good but crank the voltage up theres not enough wet out for body panels
    hold the tack for the same amount of time and alternate along the seem when welding it in the car to avoid warping and let the metal cool down some

keep practicing and experimenting with the setting to get it really nice
    Leblond Makino mills
    HAAS CNC SL-40 lathe
    American Pacemaker lathe
    wells index mill
    hydrotel rebuilt
    syncrowave 250
    diversion 165
    Miller Elite Vintage USA

Default Looking good

trial and error...with a few questions to the people who know..will eventually produce the desired result. It doesn't look bad but there is room for improvement. With a little effort the end result will be this picture. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gusb View Post
    I haven't actually touched a vertical mill in many years - you almost could say it was another life

They seem to be reasonably priced these days, but I haven't found much around here (SF Bay Area, CA). A few local tool shops, etc. have my phone number in case something reasonable comes up.

I'd love to find an old Hardinge tool room lathe too, but realize that's really an impossible dream.
    Too bad you're not in Ohio there are a few Hardinge tool room lathes in the northeast section of the state and not too terribly priced but the shipping to the bay area would kill any decent deal you might be able to make.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate