Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fuel swirl/surge tank.

Hi,

I'm building fuel swirl pot. But i'm little bit confused about inner walls, baffle plates. Or aren't there any?

This type tank
    http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p6...duct_info.html

I was thinkgin something like this.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...23/fuelpot.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions?

Rainer

A. Graham Bell briefly discusses swirl pots in his book, Forced Induction Performance Tuning. He shows an illustration of a swirl pot without a baffle. I don't see a need for a baffle because the pressure pump is drawing from the bottom of the swirl pot. One difference between your design and Mr. Bell's is that he put the pressure pump fitting on the center of the bottom face of the swirl pot rather than on the side of the cylindrical surface. As a side note, A. Graham Bell says the tank usually should be large enough to hold 30 seconds worth of fuel.

If my scanner was functional I would scan the drawing and post it. Sorry for that.

Paul Lohr

Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    A. Graham Bell briefly discusses swirl pots in his book, Forced Induction Performance Tuning. He shows an illustration of a swirl pot without a baffle. I don't see a need for a baffle because the pressure pump is drawing from the bottom of the swirl pot. One difference between your design and Mr. Bell's is that he put the pressure pump fitting on the center of the bottom face of the swirl pot rather than on the side of the cylindrical surface. As a side note, A. Graham Bell says the tank usually should be large enough to hold 30 seconds worth of fuel.

If my scanner was functional I would scan the drawing and post it. Sorry for that.

Paul Lohr
    I have this book. But i saw that there weren't andy baffle plates. But i taught that they might improve fuel delivery during long lefthanders. ( car is bmw e30 with 3.2l MPower engine that need quality fuel delivery every second) I my case i had to put fittings on one side due to tank placement under the hood.
    Instead of 3 fittings like in the book, i used 4. 1) from feed pump 2) pressure pump to engine 3) fuel rail return 4) return to fuel tank

If i could put prssure pump fitting at the bottom, then there wouldn't be much need for baffle plates.

Swirl pot-- just a header tank by another name? If so, no need for baffles.

The idea behind it is to supply it with fuel all the time, via a low pressure fuel pump (or gravity if your talkin' airplanes). If it's always full there's no need for baffles, as there should be no sloshing back and forth in a full header tank.
    Big Blue 400D
    Trailblazer 302
    Miller S-32 suitcase
    12VS suitcase
    Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
    Victor torches
    Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
    Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
    Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Default Swirlpot overview....

Suvi
    found a pretty good swirlpot overview on a Subaru site

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1458249

hope this helps
    Regards
    Heiti

Default E30 engine swap....

Suvi
    could you give us more details on the engine swap on that E30?? they are a good platform with a lot of available parts.. and right now they are available at very reasonable prices at least in the US... pics too please.. if you have..
    thanks
    Heiti

Smile

Suvi
    am afraid that my Estonian is very very rusty...(since childhood) and the picture links did not work for me... my guess is that most here are even less familiar with the language.....could you maybe post some pictures on this forum for us???
    Thanks
    Heiti

Here are a lot of pic's

http://www.ruus.eu/auto/m3/

And here are some of things i have done.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainersuvi