Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Railing?

I guess it would depend on application? Maybe one isn't as critical as another? I see that here as well, but nowhere near as often as I used to. The 4" rule is the law of the land so to speak. Go with that and you won't have any troubles.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

It seems this is the correct info for my application (from one of your links):

Residential Guards
    Where are Guards Required?
    IRC Sec R312.1
    Porches, balconies, ramps or raised floor surfaces
    located more than 30 inches above the floor or grade
    below shall have guards not less than 36 inches in
    height. Open sides of stairs with a total rise of more
    than 30 inches above the floor or grade below shall
    have guards not less than 34 inches in height measured
    vertically from the nosing of the treads.
    Porches and decks which are enclosed with insect
    screening shall be provided with guards where the
    walking surface is located more than 30 inches
    above the floor or grade below.
    In R-3 Occupancies, and within individual R-2
    dwelling units, a guard whose top rail also serves as
    a handrail shall have a height not less than 34 inches
    and not more than 38 inches.
    IBC Sect 1012.2.
    Guard Opening Limitations
    IRC Sec R312.2
    Required guards on open sides of stairways, raised
    floor areas, balconies and porches shall have intermediate
    rails or ornamental closures which do not allow
    passage of a sphere 4 inches or more in
    diameter.
    Exceptions:
    ● The triangular openings formed by the riser,
    tread and bottom rail of a guard at the open
    side of a stairway are permitted to be of such a
    size that a sphere of 6 inches cannot pass
    through.
    ● Openings for required guards on the sides of
    stair treads shall not allow a sphere 4-3/8
    inches to pass through.
    PH1-
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 07-12-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
    I guess it would depend on application? Maybe one isn't as critical as another? I see that here as well, but nowhere near as often as I used to. The 4" rule is the law of the land so to speak. Go with that and you won't have any troubles.
    Thanks for the help!
    One more question...Does the 4" rule apply to open stair treads? What I've researched doesn't clearly state that, with the exception that if a person could walk under the stairs, then the riser shall be closed.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

just wait til you build railing around a public pool.... thats when it gets more fun... self closing/ self latching gates as well.

as a general rule of thumb, if you can push a 4 inch ball through a gap, its gonna fail. alot depends on the inspectors interpretations and his/ her mood for the day, but if you make it where the ball wnt fit ANYWHERE, you'll be fine. ive found in arkansas that residential railings around a pool are the same, and handrails/ stair rails are also the same code as commercial.

the real fun part is security barring on a house... it has to be able to open from the outside easily (for the firefighters) (new code for pulaski county) whats the point in having security bars????? lmao!
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    Thanks for the help!
    One more question...Does the 4" rule apply to open stair treads? What I've researched doesn't clearly state that, with the exception that if a person could walk under the stairs, then the riser shall be closed.

No worries. Stair gaps I am not sure of. The 4" rule may apply there as well. You'd have to ask on that one.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC