Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A custom tri-axle hot shot trailer

my buddy the hot shotter asked me for a custom tri-axle 30 foot trailer. 3 7.5k axles, brakes and led lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

What made him go for the three axle?

It's tough to keep the tires from losing all their tread on a three axle.

Oops, nice job. The comment has nothing to do with your work of course, it's just the idea of a three axle for a hot shotter.

he asked for it, i built it.... i tried to talk him into a tandem dual set up, but he absolutely wanted a tri-axle...... (i would have MUCH rather set up tandem instead of tri..... lining up 3 sets of springs is no fun chore!!!)
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Nice work! Must have been a P-I-A to line up and square that beast up!

Aren't friends wonderful to deal with???

Nice Job,

We setup 3 axles on bumber pull units for stability.
    A gooseneck - it looks COOOOL!
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302
    12vs Extreme
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000
    20" x 40" CNC Mills (2)
    16" x 60" engine lathe
    65 Ton edwards iron worker
    3/16' x 24" power slip roll
    16' power feed mitering bandsaw
    and other fun toys

Default $$$$

Nice work.
    Any idea how much you've got into material?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    Nice work.
    Any idea how much you've got into material?
    i used mc 10 channel for the frame and 2x2 x 11ga square tubing for the crossmembers. w-10 beam for the gooseneck. all in all after the axles, lights, lumber, bolts, tires, paint (not inluding wire, gas and labor) about 6 grand.. and i used a bulldog adjustable hitch too. it was a fun build, but, i dont wanna make another tri-axle........ EVER
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Nice looking trailer.
    I'm just wondering why he had a one off built when there are so many trailer manufacturers climbing over each other to sell you trailers... surely you didn't give him a better price than the manufacturers did you?

My other question is, in the 3rd picture there are four small red lights at the center of the trailer... is that even legal? Before you think I'm being stupid check out this link: http://grote.com/tech/fmvss/low_chart.html

They are item number 7, here is how it reads: Rear Identification Lamps-(P2 or P3)- Indicate presence of a wide vehicle- Exactly 3- Red- On the rear - center, facing rearward - horizontally spaced 150 mm (6 in.) to 300 mm (12 in.) apart - in Canada : at the top - maybe lower if door header narrower than 25 mm
    in USA: as high as practicable

The other thing to note is the lens rating, are they P2 or P3? Did you check the lens rating of the rest of the lights? I also noticed it's missing requirement #9, 11 and 12... looks like you have a little more work to do.

I'm not trying to nit pick... but you get the right officer and they WILL nit pick, or if he gets in an accident (say someone rear ends him), they take pictures and later their lawyer picks up on the trailers faults, he gets sued... his insurance sues you... and well you get the picture, it's a worst case scenario but I'm sure it happens.
    Either way there's not a lot of money to be made sitting on the side of the road dealing with officers of the law, unless your the tow truck driver that was called to come haul it away.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

I wondered about the four instead of three lights too. I knew the three indicated 96" width or more. But then you see guys with pickups who want to look kewel running with marker lights all the time so I guess it's something the cops don't get too excited about.

The way I've always done it was three in the rear, red at the side rear, amber at the side front and if the trailer is longer than eighteen feet an additional amber about in the middle side.

This tells anyone approaching from the side where the trailer starts and ends with a reminder there's a trailer there in the middle.

I've always understood it was the same for the front, except in amber, three to indicate width. But again, you see little pickups with big truck markers on their roofs and you see some rigs with umpteen lights across the front.

Quote Originally Posted by wroughtnharv View Post
    I wondered about the four instead of three lights too. I knew the three indicated 96" width or more. But then you see guys with pickups who want to look kewel running with marker lights all the time so I guess it's something the cops don't get too excited about.
    Actually it's anything over 80" wide that require the identification lights.
    I don't know if they would complain about something less than 80" having the lights or not... all depends on the officer I guess.

In the grand scheme of things I just wanted to make everyone aware that building a trailer isn't as easy as welding up a frame, bolting on a coupler, axle and finding just any old lights. (Not saying that's what you did welder_one)
    All too often people figure they will save a couple of bucks and do it themselves, nothing wrong with that as long as they do it right. Some places require a home built trailer to be inspected before your able to get plates/ insurance. The wrong lights, reflectors in the wrong locations and your going back to the store to spend more money and time doing it right the second time... pretty soon your in deeper than driving to the trailer sales place and getting one off the lot. Well ok that point may take awhile to get to ... but the point is there are rules that need to be followed. Welder_one or his buddy might have put the reflectors on after these pictures were taken, I'm not saying they didn't do it right, I'm just saying it isn't right in these pictures, so I hope they make it right before it hits the streets.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280