Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding 1045

Default Welding 1045

Hello,

I am making 2 inch shafts with a 4 inch index ring welded part way down the shaft. I make a large bevel and pre-heat the shaft and ring to 900 degrees the I wire weld it. I made two for them to test and one ring has broken lose. I have 30 of them to make and I am looking for some advise, so the index ring will not break free.

Thanks

Jeff.

Where is the weld breaking; are you getting good fusion to the shaft and not to the collar, or the other way around? What wire? 1045 is considered a medium carbon steel but is at the upper limit where it can be handled as a high-carbon steel. You may need to just stress relieve after welding. Picture of failed part?

Thank you for your response. I am using er70S-6 0.035 wire in my mig. As for a photo I haven't gotten the broken one back yet. But from what they tell me, it is just spinning on the shaft. Since posting I have setup a container with lime to slowly cool the part after welding, hoping this will help.

If slowing down the cooling doesn't help, though it should, there is a hydrogen controlled wire, Cronatron 375M, that is meant for the higher carbon steels. I haven't used this particulr wire, but have used qiute a few different fillers made by Cronatron for tool steel (tig) and some of their mig wires, and they perform as advertised. Here is the link:

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/webapp...TEEL+MIG+WIRES

Hope this helps.

You can also try nassua research for specialty wires/rods. Was the 900 degrees spec'ed, it seems awfully hot.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by jeffie_3 View Post
    Hello,

I am making 2 inch shafts with a 4 inch index ring welded part way down the shaft. I make a large bevel and pre-heat the shaft and ring to 900 degrees the I wire weld it. I made two for them to test and one ring has broken lose. I have 30 of them to make and I am looking for some advise, so the index ring will not break free.

Thanks

Jeff.
    What machine and what settings? This can only be a guess but for starters my guess is not enough machine to weld 2" material.

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by griff01 View Post
    What machine and what settings? This can only be a guess but for starters my guess is not enough machine to weld 2" material.

Griff
    i'm thinking the same thing.... why mig? why not SMAW with 8018 rod?
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Thanks to everyone who replied. The reason I didn't use a stick, is I don't have one. I really need to buy one. I also need to buy a tig. I am a machine shop. For years I used a guy down the street to do all of my welding. Last year he went under. Tried a few others, well they didn't help me much. A large job was presented and we really needed the work, so we bought a Millermatic 211. It works great. Now that we have a welding machine, many customers want things welded. Mostly small stuff.

The rings I'm welding onto the shaft are 10 mm thick. Then we weld a nut on top of that. When we finish I will upload a photo. The reason for the 900 degrees. I went out on the net and read a few articles about welding 1045, they suggest we bring it up to 900 and slowly let it cool. The last two I just did, I let cool in lime. The was almost no warp-age compared to the 1st two. Only one of the 1st two have failed. Also this time I cut deeper into the shaft before welding. I also let the wire burn deeper into the shaft before bring it out.

I hope that answered the question. If you have more suggestion, or see something I might be doing wrong please let me know.

Thanks

Jeff

http://www.alpha-machining.net

Default The result.

The heating to 900 seems to have worked, they have had the bolts for a bit and no problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default 1045

Hi Jeff,

We just finished doing something similar.
    Ours was 1045 2" square into an A36 plate 3/4" thick.

I don't know what volts your running on your Mig.

We had great success with a 400 deg preheat after tacking.
    we set 30 volts with .045 70-s6 wire
    speed around 400 IPM
    Amps were 350
    gas we used tri mix 90%A 8% C02 2% O

Sprayed the arc

Worked great
    Live Right Have Fun

XMT350 CV/CC
    22A Feeder
    MM175
    Dynasty 200DX
    TB302