Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile I'm new and need some advice

Hello All,

I'm new here, and need a little advice on buying a welder. I am looking at the Millermatic 140 (with auto-set) but wanted to get some more input before I buy.

My dad and I will be using it for projects around the house. ie, Garden items, repair, sculpture (I'm the artist), and some basic fabrication. We've taken 3 welding courses at our local university, and I am 95% sure we used the Miller 140's for all our projects there. One of the main factors is being able to plug it into a regular garage power socket, not a 220v.

After reading the catalog info, I am a little worried that the max thickness says 3/16". I could have sworn that I had used the schools 140 to weld up to 1/2" (which is rare for us to use that thickness). Now I am thinking maybe i missed something. I'd hate to spend the $$$ on the Millermatic 140 only to be disappointed. However, if it just means that I have to make 2 passes to join the thicker metal pieces, then that's "OK" in my book.

Any and all help is welcome!

thanks everyone!

M.

Cool

I don't know what kind of garden items you want to weld but i don't think you will be happy with a 110v welder. I would aim for a small 220v mig even if it means adding a 220v plug. Just my .02...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Mm180...

...and run an extension cord from your dryer outlet?

The garden items I was thinking were things like trellis for the beans and berries, custom grate for the fish pond, and things like that.

m

Default Just a metter of time...

aametalmaster is correct and I'll elaborate just a bit. While the MM140 is a great machine it is limited which means you're limited in what you can do. I have 2 of these machines in my shop and they are used primarily on light rail work in which we do a lot of. However, we also have a MM252 and a 350P that is used for just about everything else. We like the 140's because they are light and can go to the job on our generators without any problem assuming we don't encounter anything out of their class. If you're like the rest of us, chances are you will love to weld and won't want to be limited as to what you can do! There is nothing more frustrating than trying to weld something heavy your machine was not intended to do. My advice is to step-up spend a few extra bucks and broaden your abilities!

MM210 / MM212 and even the 252 are all excellent machines. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Good luck,

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Just my 2 cents.

If you know you are probably never going to weld something other than what you mentioned, then you would be wasting money by buying something bigger. The things you mentioned are not critical welds and within the range of the welder you mentioned. The men gave you some sage advice about getting something bigger because they figure ever one is going to step up and start welding something a little more robust. However, this is not always the case. Just as you give up something when you have the smaller welder, you give up something when you get the bigger one also. You give up the ability to use 110 volts and the bigger welder just gets pretty dang heavy and hard to move around.

So my advice would be to buy the smaller welder if you are sure of what you will be welding and it is within the capabilities of the welder. And later on if you decide you need something bigger, then get it. But don't get rid of the littler welder - it will always have its place. I bet most of the men who tell you to get a big welder have a little one stashed somewhere - and wouldn't get rid of it for anything
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

I have the MM 130 XP an older version of the 140 with no auto set. I primarily use it for welding things up to about 1/8” anything more and it just isn’t hot enough. That said I love this welder, it gets lots of use, mostly because it is so easy to move around. I have run a lot of wire through it with no problems at all. Probably around 25 large spools. I use .024 solid wire at the lower settings for 18 to 14Ga tubing and sheet and .035 for thicker. This welder definitely has a place in any shop. It would not be a good do all machine. It just doesn’t have the heat needed for thicker stuff. If you have another welder or think you will need portability in the future and will buy a larger machine for the shop buy a 140. If not than go as big as your budget and power source will allow, you can always turn it down.

Paul

I started with a MM 135 and wish I had bought more...I just recently did and I picked up a MM 180. I added a dedicated 220V line to my garage and the difference in welding is like day and night. The 220v/MM180 is a sweet unit and is good for about 5/16's in welding one-pass. It is a smoother and more fun to use welder in my novice view.

Don't get me wrong the 135/140 is a sweet setup and the 180 is now available in "auto-set". I don't know enough to know if auto set is a good thing or not.

I picked up my MM180 off e bay with no tax and free shipping from Indiana Oxygen and could not be happier.
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet

I have a Hobart Handler 135. I have probably ran 250-280 pounds of wire through it so far. I have other welders, larger mig and a tig. But the little 135 is the most versatile machine I have.
    If the 135 crapped out today then I would have to replace it. period.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

All very good input guys! I really appreciate it!