Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Lincoln LN 25 feeder on dialarc

Should I expect any limitations or reduction of quality in the weld when running an LN-25 from a CC power supply( Dialarc) I'd be interested to hear from others that have run an LN-25 from from a CC supply...I have a remote job that has an onsite Dialarc 333 that I could use...It would save me from shipping a power supply to the site...

with the right type of wire it should weld ok. But if you are doing code, inspected or structural welding cv is required. Most people use cc for fencing, concrete forms and non critical welds. ( if it breaks no one gets killed ).
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

This post is to report my results....I tried the Ln25 on a 250 dial arc here ...After some initial adjusting of the current and polarity I arrived at settings that will allow me to make the required welds for the remote job...I'm using .045 innershield NR 212 and it welds just fine...The arc is softer and does not dig as much as a CV supply and sounds very DC smooooth..I will report on the remote job results when I finish...I am confidant that the dialarc is up to the task ..

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    with the right type of wire it should weld ok. But if you are doing code, inspected or structural welding cv is required. Most people use cc for fencing, concrete forms and non critical welds. ( if it breaks no one gets killed ).
    You might want to hold onto your hat!
    There are structures built everyday with engine driven CC machines, and LN-25s.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

For years before I got my classic 3d with the cv option I used a miller big 40 cc machine and a sae250 lincoln cc machine to run my ln25 doing heavy equipment repairs. everything from yarding and loading grapples , trak frame blade and bucket repairs and the list goes on. The results were very satisfactory and never encountered a failure due to a poor quality weld.

That is what we were told at Lincoln welder repair school. and later from bridge construction crews that sent me there welders for repair. They used their cv machines for the structural and the cc machines for putting the concrete forms together. This is not to say a good weld can't be done. Only that a cc machine is not recommended by the manufacture for critical welds.
    Glenn 300 amp stick
    Millermatic 35
    L-tec plasma

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    That is what we were told at Lincoln welder repair school. and later from bridge construction crews that sent me there welders for repair. They used their cv machines for the structural and the cc machines for putting the concrete forms together. This is not to say a good weld can't be done. Only that a cc machine is not recommended by the manufacture for critical welds.
    Very true!
    But what do you think we did before CV, (or CV adapters) engine drives came out? CV is a luxury, not a necessity! First CV engine drive I seen was late 1970's or very early 1980's. LN-22's were the go to wire feed back then, this was before the upgraded LN-25.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

The job is building two exhaust systems for a pair of 10.8 litre Cummins diesel engines on a 90 ft steel boat..6 inch 14 ga aluminized pipe and elbows with butt welds on most joints and 1/2 in thick steel "cat flanges" on the removable pieces...The boat is in the water tied up to a dock and we are using the on board "always been on the boat" 250 amp dialarc CC supply and the LN 25 with .045 wire.The dialarc is run from a 100kw diesel generator that is also in the engine room...The CC supply produces a smooth arc and welds the thin butt joints and the thick flanges equally well..Very noisy in the engine room with that John Deere powered generator running and a little difficult to weld sometimes when the boat is moving around, but the job is going well...The CC supply is OK for this job.....No problems...