Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Laying out auger flighting

I saw how they're installed to the shaft when they were building a Zambonie on "How It's Made". I also know that I'll have to make individual flights and weld them together. I also saw a print of an individual flight elsewhere on the internet. It looked like a cone layout.
    So what's the secret? I prefer hillbilly methods over having to get batteries for the calculator.

You can buy the components to make your own augers from Jiffy Products in Dallas Texas. Mention harvey to Bob Greene and he'll understand. I like to do my own stuff too.

Default Try Martin Sprocket and Gear

They have 12-15 plants across the US. They make individual flights as well as the twisted ribbon or corkscrew. I worked there on a burntable and welding positioner in the 1990's. You may want to talk to JS Fab, I think he worked in the screw shop before my time there.

For all the trial and error involved, plus the work making a press and dies, it's not worth it, just buy the flights, they aren't that expensive, considering the value of the finished product. Any bearing specialty distributor, and many steel service centers, should be able to order them for you. None of the major manufacturers (Martin, Screw Conveyor Corp, etc.) will sell direct as far as I know, but they will be more than happy to assist you with the engineering, then steer the paperwork to whatever distributor you wish.

I used to have a formula, for figuring out the size disk you would need, for whatever flight you wanted, can't find it. I can describe the parameters, needed to figure it out the hard way, but it's long. Gets you in the ballpark, but you still gotta do a couple of trial pieces, depending on your dies how much the metal stretches will change. I occasionally make my own flights, but time/money it's usually easier-faster-cheaper to just buy the sectional flights or helicoils you need.

Check out Replacement Flighting Supply, I don't have the link, but google it. Nebraska somewhere, I think. They will sell direct, they will ship, not sure of the quality or precision or cost, no personal experience. One advantage, they make ag sizes (bazooka augers and combine screws) as well as industrial types.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I was not understanding why the first two replies were telling where to buy them. If it is something I should have somebody else make, even if I were the last man on earth, then I'll rethink my project. Thanks, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    I was not understanding why the first two replies were telling where to buy them. If it is something I should have somebody else make, even if I were the last man on earth, then I'll rethink my project. Thanks, guys.
    I've made six or so augers for my skid steer. A couple of them I saved myself a ton of money by buying the tricked out mult-carbide heads for cutting rock and then added the flighting and couplers.

The reason I suggested Jiffy was because I've fought your fight and learned that buying flights was easier and cheaper in the long run.

Flighting is a helix. Double flighting is a double helix.

http://harveylacey.com/wordpress/?p=161#more-161

Default source for carbide head

I too was going to make an auger for my skidsteer and was wondering where you sourced the carbide head. Also what drive motor did you find? Thanks!

I used the big Lowe auger motor. My skid steer is a fifty horse with high flow. The Lowe is rated for thirty gallons per minute but works just fine on half of that when I use low flow. But when I bought it I went as big as I could because I figured I might change skid steers over time but I would keep my attachments.

Jiffy products in Dallas for the heads, couplers, and flights. I went with the six sided couplers for a couple of reasons. Primarily because everyone else I know uses the round coupler and I didn't want them borrowing my stuff and mixing their hydraulic fluid with mine. Also the six sided is a lot stronger connection. With the round one your pin not only locates the connection, it's the shear pin too if you will.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    Grab yourself some sheet start cutting, banging and smashing... you'll figure it out at some point and then YOU can come back here and tell US how it's done.
    Or just pick up the phone with your credit card in hand and save yourself the frustration.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

I build screws for a living, and I would recommend just buy the flights preformed. What others have said is good advise and it would save you a lot of heartache. Flights are cheap therapy isn't.:
    It is doable, so more power to ya.