Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Lathe Boring Bar Holder

While at the regional competition for FIRST robotics at Wayne State University in March, I welded together some scrap to make a boring bar holder for one of our teams lathes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Default Lathe Boring Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
    While at the regional competition for FIRST robotics at Wayne State University in March, I welded together some scrap to make a boring bar holder for one of our teams lathes.
    Looks like that will work. How do you set your height of your boring bar or was that set when you made this holder. Looks great anyways.

We chucked up a drill in the headstock of the lathe and used it to drill the boring bar holder, as it was mounted on the compound slide. This made the hole on the center of the axis of rotation of the lathe. You will notice that we bored it lower than the center of the round bar stock. We did this to allow more material for the tapped hole for the screw that secures the boring bar on the top.

You will also notice that there are two different size holes in the boring bar holder. Although I stuck the boring bar in the larger hole for the picture, I should have taken the time to put it in the other smaller hole. This would allow the boring bar to be on center of rotation of the lathe.

Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport

Cool

Nice job...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Slick, I like the two holer idea, it could use a rough and finishing bit at the same time. I give er two thumbs up!!!! Might try to duplicate for my small lathe for those pesky little holes we all have to make sometimes.