Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Lowes Garden Cart

Has anyone ever modifyed or re-built the steering linkage and rear axle on one of the Lowes garden cart?
    Fab Tech

41 views and no replies. I don't guess that anyone has. What do you plan on doing to the cart?
    Jim

Well 106 views and still nothing. It might be a tough project I got myself into
    I’ll see what I can do
    Hope this project is not too big for me
    Last edited by FabTech; 06-21-2010 at 07:09 PM.
    Fab Tech

If you are talking about the Ackermann theory. The inside tire has a smaller radius.
    I hope I spelled his name right.
    Bob

Edit
    Thanks, PTsideshow I knew I butchered his name.
    Last edited by Bob Miller; 06-22-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelled the man's name wrong
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

I guess you're talking about a four wheel steer wagon.

I've built one for my mig when I wanted to run it over gravel. All I did was make an angle iron frame for the the bed. Then I made two pivoting axles, think of two front ends on a wagon. On one I attached the tongue. Then I attached a rod diagonally between the front and rear axles.

The great thing about four wheel steer is you don't have to allow for tail swing or tail cut when making a corner. Properly made your wagon's rear wheel will follow in the exact path of the front one when making a turn.

The downside of the one I built is when making a sharp turn the wagon can tip over if top heavy. But it was simple and easy to make so I did it that way knowing I had issues with tip over under some circumstances.

Now if you're handy and can make your axles with king pins and tie rods, as on a go kart, golf cart, automobile, you can have a four wheel steer wagon that trails tricker'n than anything without the tip over issues.

Don't know If you are talking about one of these

Tractor supply garden dump cart, was thinking of what can be done for other uses with the style of frame steering. I have no use for an off road/gravel welding cart. But it could work if the center of gravity is lowered.

All the bits and pieces laid out, I did a review of that style for another site. the steering part is upper right side in this photo the draw bar is attached by pivot to the center of the control arm to each wheel. As this cart can be used to tow behind a lawn/garden tractor. The handle can be turned around for a hitch pins trailer hitch

This is the front section of the frame,Steering assembly before being attached

If you are looking for what the steering looks like I can go out and snap a few pic's but right now it is filled with Fruit wood being transferred form its former home to its new short life as fuel for the son's smoker

This is the small version carries less than the 1,000 pound version, the garden flat top carts at the garden centers around here all have the same type of steering set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Miller
    If you are talking about the Acrman theory. The inside tire has a smaller radius.
    I hope I spelled his name right.
    I think you may be referring to Ackermann type

Here is the google link there are a number of illustrations that are available

glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space