Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winch Truck Questions

I am currently in process of buying a 1990 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Pickup. Once the truck is paid for and I take possesion of it, I plan on making a small winch truck out of it. I plan on building a flatbed with a rolling tailboard and gin poles. The truck as it sets has the stock 8' box on it. How long could i extend the new bed without altering the frame, and how tall can i make my gin poles?
    Also the truck is an automatic transmission so i can't put a PTO winch on it like i would like to. If i go with an electric winch, what would be a good selection? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Bryce
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1985 Ford F250 4x4
    Assorted Hand & Power Tools

It won't take much hanging behind the wheels to over do a 3/4 ton. I've never rigged up a winch truck, but from the ones I've seen the poles are set pretty close behind the axle. How much do you need to lift? How high?
    Jim

I don't plan on doing much real heavy work with it, just some general work around the farm and for use in my work as a handyman. I know that its a little too heavy for a 3/4 ton, but I don't have a 1 ton at my disposal. I do a lot of work on metal buildings and stuff like that.

Bryce
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1985 Ford F250 4x4

You can always swap in an F350 DRW axle and springs. There is very little difference between an F350 dually and an F250. Most of the difference that matters is in the rear axle and springs.

56" cab to axle longbed pickup chassis usually don't use a bed longer than 9 feet.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

You could run a hydraulic winch. There is a ton of brackets ect. to mount a hyd. pump to the engine as these trucks saw wrecker duty as well. Might even be able to score the whole setup, pump and winch, off a salvaged wrecker.
    Sometimes there's no second chances.

I have seen 9-10 ft. bed on 60" ca wheel base. 10' looks odd and might be to much cantilever behind the rear axle of a 56" ca.
    I'd go with 9' and add just 1' to the frame. Most people go with std. channel iron the same size as the frame.
    As for your poles attach them close behind the cab. You can lift more and use the motor as the counter weight. Make one part of the pole slide into the other part. Theoretically you could have about 16-17' feet of pole, and not stick out the back when collapsed. Make the pulley removable, then you lay the poles straight on the bed and have more deck space.
    Off set the winch and make it self erecting.
    I don't think autos come with a PTO plate.
    I have used Warn winches with good luck.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by burden1990 View Post
    I am currently in process of buying a 1990 Ford F250 4x4 Diesel Pickup.
    8<--------
    Bryce
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
    8<--------
    I don't think autos come with a PTO plate.
    8<--------
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    The transfer case may have PTO plate(s) depending on the case.
    Put tranny in gear & Transfer case in neutral.

Jay

any standard 8' bed pickup, will look good with a 9' flatbed. Single rears, keep the width under 7'3" to 7'6",,,,, otherwise, it will look like crap.

More importantly, show me an electric winch, that can hold a vertical load,,,, 2000# plus, sufficient for general scrapping work.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

The transfer case in that truck should be same as mine, a Borg-Warner 13-56. It's an aluminum case with chain drive, part time, available in both manual and electric shift in F250-350 trucks in those years. I'll have to look on my transfer case to see if there is a pto plate on it or not.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Quote Originally Posted by davinci2010 View Post
    You could run a hydraulic winch. There is a ton of brackets ect. to mount a hyd. pump to the engine as these trucks saw wrecker duty as well. Might even be able to score the whole setup, pump and winch, off a salvaged wrecker.
    Does anyone have any idea what one of these setups would run as far as the cost. The engine is the International 7.3L diesel, is there room under the hood to mount the pump on one of these diesel trucks. As far as the transfer case goes, I'm not sure which one it is or if it has a PTO plate, I'll go over where the truck is sitting and look later on today. How hard of a task would it be to swap out the rear axle with one out of a dually, I would like to have the added capacity of a one ton. Thanks for all your suggestions so far and keep them coming.

Bryce
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1985 Ford F250 4x4