Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default 500k BTU heat exchanger ideas?

I need ideas on how to build an approximate 500k BTU water to water heat exhchanger for my pool. I sold my corn burner and bought a Central wood boiler that's 500k and want to use it to heat my pool this coming summer. I have found them on ebay for $800 but figure I could build one cheaper but don't have any specs I could copy for that size. Any ideas????

My first question is how shade tree engineered do you want it to be? If you are just wanting something to get the job done then how about this - take a car radiator and fab two, five sided boxes to "cap" both sides of it by brazing them over the front and back sides where the air would normally flow through. Then run the water from the filter pump through it and the boiler through the normal water route, or vice-versa. I think you could box it up and make it look rather professional, or leave it be and give it the home brew look. Anyway, just thinking out loud....

SSS

Disclaimer........Keep in mind that you are dealing with a boiler and very hot water so put a couple of relief valves on whatever you build, and maybe even put it inside of another box, just for an extra layer of protection. Safety, safety, safety. Scalds are not what I call fun.
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 12-06-2007 at 08:47 PM.
    Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
    Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

What I had in mind was making it like the chillers we had when I was going through apprenticeship that was basically a piece of pipe with a couple dozen tubes running through it that had end plates with caps. I am unsure of what size material to use to get the maximum efficiency. But I feel this would look very nice when finished.

the heat exchangers we use at work (boilers/chillers/4pipes) are the basic copper tubed design.. flang with 20 to 100 copper pipes running from the flange out.. how ever long..doesnt matter.. 90 deg bend at the end and comes back to the flang.. this assembly gets tucked into an outer casing... the steam gets piped into the outer casing...and the 4 pipe water gets pumped into one side of the flang and comes back through the other half...

you can play with htis idea many sort of ways.. i made a air to air heat exchanger for my barrel burner in my garage... about 10 peices of 12" long by 2" dia sched. 40 pipe welded to two backing plates.. holes poped at each plate.. the smoke from the chimney goes up and through the box and i have a small fan on the back side that blows air through the 2" 40... its heavy but works really well.. reclaim alot of the heat that excapes from the smoke...

like above you could do this with a radiator... id use a 4 core desiel based radiator since the transfer wont be as fast as it would be used in an actual truck (unless you are pumpin the water just as fast) .. build an outer case for the rad to sit inside .. the hot boiler water gets piped into the outer case and the pool water goes into the rad.

the heat xer's we have at work..the main bundels use 1/2" copper tubing.. we have a few to heat domestic hotwater that use 1/4" copper..

i think it would be hard to mathematically come up with the right size for that BTU.. id build it as big as i could .. and govern it by the a VSD on the pump and maybe a couple of ball valves you can choke down the flow

are you actually steamin the water or using it to heat water.?
    Last edited by shott8283; 12-07-2007 at 06:08 PM.

i'm confused, if its a boiler already, why not just pump the pool water through it??

Quote Originally Posted by shott8283 View Post
    are you actually steamin the water or using it to heat water.?
    Just heating. The boiler system is open. I guess you can't really classify it as a boiler since the there is no pressure and it's just heating and circulating treated water.