Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Welder_One,

Took me awhile to make the transition also but once I got comfortable with the 2% Lanthanated, I'd never go back to green.

Heck, when you use a product for 20+ years (green), it's like finally throwing away an old pair of boots to make a change.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    LMAO @ bias ply tires..... wow..... anyway, i have a synchro and i use pure tungsten. i like the way it welds. i have not tried the brown bands, i will give them a try, but not making any promises.... (most of my tig work is on aluminum)
    I'm still using an old transformer and more and more have been using brown and orange for AC on aluminum. The brown works better on dirty sheet aluminum than the green ever did and the orange works best on dirty cast aluminum.

One of the biggest problems in my area is it seems all the welding suppliers stock are red & green tungsten. I've had to order all of my Zirconiated and Ceriated tungstens. I guess I'll be all set when I do finally bite the bullet and get an inverter machine.

Go ahead and try the browns (and no not the ones in Cleveland who can't beat anyone) you'll be glad you did!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

next week, i have a little job that i am doing for a sign shop... it is aluminum, and i called in the order for "brown" tungsten today, so they should be on my door step in the a.m. (my lws delivers to my house...lol...) i will let ya'll know how that goes!
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Sundown

Green tungsten can be used on "barby q" for kabobs you can tell your guest pure tungsten no contaminates green end for veggie vegans.

"Change is good donkey"

Ronnie

this is just silly,,, green works great, the trick to using green,,, is knowing how to weld....

and like i said a few posts up,, it still has its place in the welding world today, or at least in my world.

pure produces some of the nicest, roundest stacked dimes

not this "V" pointed inverter crap,,, LOL

like this
    ))))))))))))

not this
    >>>>>>>
    Anything you could do, I could do better.
    I can do anything better than you!
    Lockheed Martin
    Armco Steel, Baltimore
    USW local #3185

Well, maybe you'd like to give me some instruction on tig welding.

After all, I've only been tig (Heli-arc) welding aluminum since 1966.

Course, I guess if you're still striking an arc with an antique sine wave machine without a balance control, you should still be using pure, although the zirconiated (brown) will carry more amps and maintain the ba11 better.

The guys who "know" how to tig weld and have kept up with the times know differently.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    More grinders than hands

i drive a 1970 pickup, daily, people keep telling me to buy a new one, they are better.

but i say they are wrong.

in my original post i stated

"on my sync 200

i use thoriated for steel

i use lanthanated for most aluminum

i use pure when i want more of a rounded wider dime stack on thicker aluminum. "

and i stand by those remarks,, its more of my preference i suppose
    Last edited by stugots; 06-26-2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Anything you could do, I could do better.
    I can do anything better than you!
    Lockheed Martin
    Armco Steel, Baltimore
    USW local #3185

Yea,

I bought my first Corvette (a 62 with both tops) back in 1963. Thought that car was "hot sh1t". In reality it was in 1963.

I'm also not stupid enough to think that it was a better Vette than a 2009 Z06.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Well, maybe you'd like to give me some instruction on tig welding.

After all, I've only been tig (Heli-arc) welding aluminum since 1966.

Course, I guess if you're still striking an arc with an antique sine wave machine without a balance control, you should still be using pure, although the zirconiated (brown) will carry more amps and maintain the ba11 better.

The guys who "know" how to tig weld and have kept up with the times know differently.
    Keep in mind the one saying this crap to you brags about doing stuff I doubt he even has the baIIs to do.

Whatever.....
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

I still use green tungsten on my good ol blue transformer as well as the orange and brown tungsten. It all depends on what I'm working on. My main use for the green tungsten is on ****** aluminum, but I can't remember the last time I welded on new aluminum. Most of my aluminum welding is on aluminum that has been through all kinds of crap and is dirty and contaminated. So each tungsten has it's place. I know that the inverters call for ceriated tungsten which I have an ample supply of now as well as the green and brown that I'll still use on the ol blue sherman tank.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate