Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Affordable Feral hog traps that are fool proof?

how about making some heavy duty mail box posts. (easy to make). use scrap pipe, or tubing, all available on the cheap. hand sand/paint then sell online or setup in back of your truck on side of road. You probably got enough scrap laying around to do a couple.

You might also want to get a hold of the chamber of commerce in ****inson. I done some prairie dog hunting around the Medora area and they were a were a very big help. They can also put you in touch with the cattleman's association.

That area seems like a good location for a mobile rig. Quite a few good sized outfits running cattle in rough country. Cowboys are hard on equipment and despise doing anything that can't be done from horseback so you should be able to get some decent repair work.

Take a few days and see if you can get out to a ranch and see what they are doing. Think of how you can make their life easier. How they move their equipment and feed. Do they use portable corrals? What do they use to put out hay in the winter? Check with the dude ranches for some ornamental work.

If you want to keep mostly shop work might offer pick up and delivery service for equipment.

Build it bull strong, hog tight and horse high.

Al
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF
    Lincoln Classic 300D
    AutoCAD 2010...Paper Is Cheaper Than Metal
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Milwaukee & Hilti Power Tools
    John Deere Equipment
    Paints and Quarterhorses
    Billy Cook Roping Saddle
    Billy Cook Reining Saddle
    Our YouTube Channel

Saddle racks, furniture (headboards and small tables seem to sell well) buy the book about 1,000 things to make with horseshoes ( I initially mispelled it as *****shoes which might be even more interesing!) Home furnishings, truck tailgates, tractor implements, mirrors, picture frames, screen/security doors. All depends upon what sells in your area. I have a few pictures posted if you click on my name of some things that I sell. I also do a LOT of welding repairs and make a lot of money fixing broken stuff! From trailers and truck bumpers, to appliances, to fences and gates that other people installed poorly. Print up cards and go door to door letting people know what you are doing, start close to the shop.

Good Luck

Lol I didn't realize what I was saying at the time. I meant I have no employees. My current clients are just my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by NoogaD View Post
    If you are in ND, then you are in a good spot for welding. That area's oilfield is supposed to ramp up even more in the next couple of years. However, you are going to need some credentials. Some guy doing gates and sculpture in his garage aint gonna cut it (no, offense, that's the kind of welding I do.) Especially after the Gulf disaster, but even before you'd need to be able to pass X-ray, cold work, hot work, confined spaces, etc. And being mobile is the way to go there, unless the rig is in your backyard that is.
    Yes I would eventually like to get my own truck set up. I have never had anything submitted for a bend, x-ray, or ultrasound tests. But its not like I just woke up and decided to weld one day. I do have my welding degree I took a 9 month course. I also welded for a company for 3 years in Fargo before I moved back here.

You might want to try building some truck accessories (tailgates, headache racks, grille guards, etc.), BBQ cookers, gates (I make mine out of 2 3/8" tubing and they are **** for stout). Just a few ideas, hope this helps.

Bryce
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1985 Ford F250 4x4
    Assorted Hand & Power Tools

Thank you everyone