Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bed Project

Hybrid View

Default Bed Project

I finally got a few days off from the rig and got some real work done on a custom bed project for a bedroom renovation. I liked the modern look of zebrawood and wanted to incorporate some metal in my design too. But zebrawood from the local hardwood lumberyard is about $30/ft. So I made my own out of plywood. The inserts for the headboard and footboard are made from stainless and copper woven together and sprayed with some clear to keep from tarnishing. Pretty pumped about it. Just have to make the side rails...when I get some more time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

Thats pretty slick and creative.In the photo the stain appears really dark is that the effect your after or did you have a problem with the end grain of the ply getting too dark and needed to stain the rest to match?Mike

It's stained two ways because I like to make things incredibly difficult for myself. I put an ebony paint stain on first. It seeps deep into the soft sections of the plywood for kind of a flat finish and then is glossy on the end grain of the ply. I sanded the legs down so that only the soft remained black and then put a walnut stain on to darken up the grain.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

Default Nice Bed

Nice job. I like the zebra effect with light and dark wood. It looks like a sturdy mutha. This is my next project - except out of steel. 1 1/2 X 4 rectangular tubing with stretched metal for a top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dang it. Now I want something like that. Oh well, there's more than just one room in my house. And a reason to buy a roller.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

Quote Originally Posted by jerems View Post
    Nice job. I like the zebra effect with light and dark wood. It looks like a sturdy mutha. This is my next project - except out of steel. 1 1/2 X 4 rectangular tubing with stretched metal for a top.
    And it will be easy to move when you rearrange the room Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jerems View Post
    Looks like that will require some thoughtful sleep.

NoogaD:
    Looks like a nice project.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

looks really nice - what gauge metal do you use for the weaving?

I used 16 gauge stainless and 16 oz copper. Figured anything less would be too easy to bend and burn through. It's very sturdy though.

Thanks Nocheep!
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A