Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question anyone make a wind generator ??

i have to live with all the wind, i figured it would be nice to put it to work for me. i can run my house off a 5500w generator when power goes out so i figure it would not take much to make a wind powered one to get me off the grid. anyone done anything like this ??? or know any good places for research or info on them ?
    thanks.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default "Make" quarterly magazine

[I replied to your post on the Motosports board, but, I'll add it here, since this is a better place for it.]

They ran a piece last year on making a wind generator. Not sure of the output. Looks like they sell back issues for $15.

http://makezine.com/05/

I always think about how to use a car's alternator to do this. The problem is that you'd need a battery just to generate a field current. Depending on the size of the alternator, wind speed, and wind mill blade size- you could realize 500 watts at 120 volts once it is converted. The reason I want to use an altenator is because its already AC current. (No inverter required.. A pricy item especially if you want some serious power.) All you'd need to do is regulate it, step it up and away you go. Now if you can get 10 of those going and synchronize them, you could run a small welder or most of the lighting load in your home..but you need the space.

Keep in mind that as you draw power from this rig, the magnetic forces inside the alternator will tent to make the windmill want to slow down. Ever notice that when you put a huge load on a gas genny, it will bog and then come back up to speed? I cant remember what this is called but its inherant to any generator that has a load.

If you could find yourself a series wound dc motor, hook that up to your windmill with some ten foot, well balanced blades you could really make some serious power- depending on how large a dc motor you find.. ANY DC MOTOR CAN BE MADE INTO A GENERATOR. A series motor will however continue to create more and more current until it finally burns up. This is what A.G.Bell put into service to light up the late 19th century - until Tesla showed him up that is. the problem is that you need to convert this power to AC if you want to be able to run it any distance. (voltage drop-line loss)

Ive got a hybrid solar system running on a cabin up country. We talk a great deal about adding wind to our setup. The problem is that we are surrounded by 50 foot trees so we would have to build a pretty high tower to get up into the prevailing winds. If we did though... Ooooh weeeeeeeeeee! We could have tv, microwave, kettle, PC, etc.. pretty much any 1500watt appliance.
    Our system is 12 volts, 200 watts and charges a bank of 6 volt series/parallel lead acid batteries which in turn goes through a 750watt inverter. This will run a small 12inch tv, battery chargers, small electric tools and our lighting load without worry of going flat dead.

A "hybrid" system is one that has both solar and gas generator on a common circuit. Through the use of a transfer switch, we can use one or the other to charge our batteries or use the gas genny or the inverter to run the lights

Search out solar power and you will be sure to come across some wind generation ideas.

I hope this helps you out and these links will give you some more ideas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehauJgFGKZM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRD61...eature=related
    Rich
    Last edited by SignWave; 12-04-2007 at 10:19 PM.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

nice looking rig, but how long would it take to pay it off?
    thats the real queston behind "getting off the grid"

My electricity bill avg's a 100/month (give or take depending on time of year and work being done)

5 years (on the inside) is a long time for 5.5 Kw. the avg electric stove requires 10Kw @ 240VAC.

None the less this is still a nice looking rig. Most of the parts look easy enough to fab. even that micro porcessor controller isnt too hard to make if you have the right setup

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

http://www.kenneke.com/energyplans.html this site is one of many on the net.just search alternate energy,DIY generator,ETC. good luck Don

Thumbs up

paying off is the real problem. seems getting off the grid is more expensive then staying on. the thought i had was maybe pick up a surplus generator head and making a wind mill to turn it. then i would have to find a way to hook to the grid switched so i gave back when i had plenty of wind and took when none was to be had.
    the veggie oil version would be cool but thats a lot of oil, i would need to find a source and then the Lil diesel motor is a high $ item.
    i was kinda hoping to unload my mercedes-benz 450sl to finance whatever i decided to go with. i think i better look into possible veggie oil options wile I'm at it.
    i suppose doing a partial power situation, like just lighting would be a good starting point. but with all my light bulbs being the lil florescent ones i don't suspect its much of my bill any way.
    maybe i should look into making a green car first as its about to be my biggest problem anyway. although if i could get my house heater to run off veggie oil that would save me about $3,000 a year. as its an oil heater now i wonder how much would be needed to make the conversion?? or if it's even doable ???
    i guess i gotta do a lot more research and decide on one project to concentrate on. as hybrids start hitting the market gas prices are going to go up, even more so as usage declines i suspect. thats really going to hurt the low income guys like me. guess i better build the car first.
    thanks for the input guy's. my first thought was wind power as i am always getting blow around out here anyway, no shortage of wind. that and i saw Jay Leno went wind powered on his shop. nice unit. high teck and very cool.

just thinking out loud and wondering if any of you all have done any of the above.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default conserve gas, _ _ _ _ in a jar...

Ive been there over and over and over.
    some hairbrained ideas i have had include the watercar, waterboat, geothermal heatexchange, solar, and human power.Some are do-able but expensive to build , run, and maintain while others are just a dream.

Perhaps if you were to put all of the above together.... then maybe the sum of the parts would add up to something significant. i dunno.

Like you, I am devising a way to heat my home with alternate sources. Right now the list is topped by a wood burning fire place that has a water system plumbed into it. the idea is to heat water, store it in a large brass tank which i could get from the local salvage yard for a 1.50/lb , run pipes to a radiator(s) of sorts with the use of a circulation pump and also benifit from the hotwater made to suplement the shower or bathtub uses. Unfortunately my house doesnt lend itself well to the type of fireplace i want to use so I must iether find a different approach or get a different firebox.

My home has the chimney on the outside of the building and so it suffers from "cold flue syndrome" and because of this, the house would always stink of smoke and whatever else went through the fireplace. Chances are too that smoke would come into the house until the chimney was warm enough. This isnt the most enviro freindly way of going abou things either...Theres always some sort of challenge and nothing is easy...

on the subject of "environmentally freindly cars..." a car whoes emmisions have been lowered to the point of non exisitance still produces massive quantities of CO2. Same goes for propane and CLNG. These fuels may burn cleaner with less hydrocarbon emmisions but the resultant compounds of perfect combustion is still and always will be water vapour and carbon dioxide.

This is why we need to make cars run on water. this is the only reaction where the resultant product(s) of combustion does not contain CO2

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    Like you, I am devising a way to heat my home with alternate sources. Right now the list is topped by a wood burning fire place that has a water system plumbed into it. the idea is to heat water, store it in a large brass tank which i could get from the local salvage yard for a 1.50/lb , run pipes to a radiator(s) of sorts with the use of a circulation pump and also benifit from the hotwater made to suplement the shower or bathtub uses. Unfortunately my house doesnt lend itself well to the type of fireplace i want to use so I must iether find a different approach or get a different firebox.
    its funny you say that.. a guy at work just built his shop and installed the radiant infloor heating .. tubes inside the concrete slab that are hooked up to a manifold and to a boiler.. heat the water,, circ it through a circ pump and heat up the concrete..the nice thing about the concrete.,.when insulated well.. holds heat for a good time.. when i build my garage.. i plan on expanding on this.. i will have a boiler (natural gas/propane fired.. small/home unit) to a manifold and then to a heat exhanger that will be heated by a wood burning stove as well.. so when im actually in the shop i can fire up the stove and heat the water in the floor with the stove.. ALSO.. i was thinking.. every now and then ill see a house with 3 or 4 LARGE banks of water tubes on the roof.. backed with black material with small copper pipes run through it.. the water in the pipes heat up from the sun and manifold that source into a switching bank.. so theroetically, have 3 different sources of energy to heat the garage..

i know.. alot to do just to heat a shop....when i was young (and sometimes now still) and starting out..doing hours of work on my truck in my driveway with no garage in western NY in my carharts chapped my a$$ and i vowed to myself when i get the chance ill have a nice heated garage ..

Default brrr.

I hear ya on the open carport work. Ugh. I'll give ya a great big homer shiver on that one. I still have to deal with that and im so not liking it any more. Actually i never liked it , but had (have) no choice. It would be really great to be able to rip up the slab, repour with radiant tubes in place, enclose the space with the fireplace in there somewhere and be free of the winter shivers.
    I think it would probably be better or easier to sell the house and find something better suited to the idea i have in mind.

As for windmills, that 5.5 a few posts back could theoretically run a couple of thousand watts of electric baseboard heat. 2Kw is sufficient to heat about 800 sq feet fairly well in a reasonable amount of time, provided the wind is blowing..

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog