Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Why I started welding.

I thought I would post a few pics of my truck.

This was what got me interested in welding.

I rolled it down in a ravine end over and then side over.It was then and there I knew I needed a cage. I took it to a local weld shop. He wants $4500 in labor to build what I want.

Now I enjoy welding as much as off-roading, No I believe I enjoy welding the most.

The truck looks a lot different now, The cage is painted and has full 5 point seat harness. Just thought I would share some pics. Adam
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

Thumbs up

Nice! (Wish my welds would look like that.)
    XMT-300 with S-64 wire feeder.
    Lincoln HI-FREQ modified to run XMT.
    Esab PCM-875 plasma cutter.
    Miller Spoolmatic-1
    Miller PC-300 pulser
    Miller Optima pulser

nice truck

I was wondering what you used for the tubing?
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

cage looks good, can you put the cab back on over it or is it just cage for good ???
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I used 4130 1-3/4 .120 wall tubing, The cab and doors were trashed in the rollover. I bought a tube notcher and a tubing bender. By the time I finished the cage I realized why the price I was quoted was so high. It has definitely been fun though. I regeared the truck for rock crawing. Mud just tears up too much stuff. I took it to an offroad park recently over in Hot Springs and it did real well for a while. I wound up breaking the rearend pretty bad. I am putting a beefier dana 60 in it and will give it another try. Adam
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF

Here are a few more pics

Thanks also to Dabar (AKA Dave)for his input, the cage seems stout. I felt safe. While I was in Hot Springs I put some pressure on it against a few rocks and several trees and it never flinched. Adam
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF

Hey there jetmec cage looks great!! you said you have a bender and notcher? if i might ask what make of tools? expensive? another question, im guessing you work in avaiation? i welded at a major airline for 6years till the big layoffs, what kind of work do you do? take care

Hey Walleye,
    I work for Fedex in Memphis. Doing the Line Mx routine right now. I am considering trying to switch to our sheet metal shop though. They have some great equipment and I imagine I would learn a lot. The bender and notcher both came from JD2.com. I have gotten a lot of use out of them and they were really affordable. Both tools have far exceeded my expectations. Check them out on the web. Adam
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF

awesome truck and yeah custom fab stuff always costs an arm and a leg i can wait till im a welder and can fab stuff myself