Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Overhead Flux core 3/8 V groove test

I am going to take the flux core test friday and wanted to know if anyone has any advice on the overhead weld. I am having trouble with that weld any advice would be great. Also it is 045 wire with sheild gas

Hey J-W-M,
    You pose a dilemma for we members to provide advice/solutions since you fail to illuminate us as to the problems you are having. Since you indicate .045 wire & shielding gas, we will presume you will be using "dual shield" wire, not straight flux-core. Also, overhead on what size/configuration/thickness, etc...... fill in some blanks for us.....

Denny
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Run it just like you would in the flat position, same settings, same slight drag angle on the gun. You'll have to stop and clean out your gas nozzle more often but otherwise it's just like a flat 3/8 v-groove. Throw the whip over your shoulder so your arm doesn't get tired so quick and stand off to the side so you don't get rained on with spatter as much.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

I am having trouble getting the puddle to stay up on my first pass. The second pass I can handle fine. Also do you need to change the polarity on a 251 miller mig welder with duel sheild when you change the wire to flux wire.

Fluxcore self shield runs DCEN. Generally, fluxcore gas shield and solid wire with gas both run DCEP.

Not sure what you mean by trouble getting the puddle to stay up. Is it dripping out? Maybe you have it too hot, or have the inductance set to too wet...
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by trouble getting the puddle to stay up. Is it dripping out? Maybe you have it too hot, or have the inductance set to too wet...
    Or possibly wrong gun angle. Sometimes when people start running overhead they get somewhat disoriented. Takes a little time to learn the proper gun angle so the puddle doesn't end up on their shoes.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Maybe you have it too hot, or have the inductance set to too wet...
    I don't believe the Millermatic 251 has a dial to adjust the inductance.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

I haven't run an overhead fluxcore v groove. I'm just wondering if you would benefit from running a little higher wire speed on overhead as compared to flat?
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Quote Originally Posted by jrscgsr View Post
    I'm just wondering if you would benefit from running a little higher wire speed on overhead as compared to flat?
    That will dry the puddle out to a degree.

Personally I think Desertrider33's advice is dead on! Sometimes on an overhead fillet weld I'll run hotter / faster than a flat V-groove.

I think most newbies to overhead get a mental block, a fear of being burned. Well guess what you're going to get burned sooner or later, might as well get use to it!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Default overhead spatter

Hello,

I'm a bit new to fluxcore but must say I love it... and I've been a welder since 1994 so I took right to it.

I'm also looking to take a 3/8" metal weld test (30 degree bevels) in overhead flux core.

I ran my vert & horiz. with no problems but when I went to do over head I was rained on by massive spatter... like more metal on the floor than on the metal.

eventually I got it to "purr" again and began to make very nice overhead welds. I switched out my practice metal for a test coupon and though it seemed like I changed nothing, the rain came back. Like everything was fine on my practice plate but as soon as I switched out for a test coupon, I couldn't get the metal to stick to my test plate.

Can anyone help with why that is? Is there a difference being "in the groove" for this symptom, than just running on the surface of a practice plate?

Thanx
    Scott