Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awsome job. Do you have any plans or drawings for this. This is my next project.
    T.J.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Awsome job. Do you have any plans or drawings for this. This is my next project.
    T.J.
    Not really. I had the gantry drawing from Precision Plasma which has a width and length you have to build to, and also take into consideration the gantry tube distance to the cutting table height. Otherwise I visualized in my head and started cutting parts. I will be prototyping a bolt together table using a similar gantry kit from Precision Plasma. With my table operational, I can cut a variety of parts in house now for projects like this.

I'm loving the capabilities this gives me though. I did get my keyboard mount frame done and test fitted. I just need to order a piece of stainless and bend it up to become the top.

David W.
    Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
    Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

Not sure how many people have made their version of "Plasma Quench", but I went ahead and mixed some up for my table which holds roughly 70 gallons of water. I have seen zero corrosion in nearly a week, and I can say from having straight water in the table for one night, it was rusted badly the next day.

I finally found some dye which would work to finish it off. At $70 a pint, it's not cheap, but it treats 12,500 gallons of water and will last a very long time. I put just a little bit in the table and then drained 4-5 gallons of water into a bucket, which I then poured back into the table to mix up the dye. It worked out well, and looks just like the real thing.

David W.
    Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,

I'm putting the finishing touches on the operators center this weekend. I got some additional parts in from McMaster and I should receive my stainless steel to form the top on my brake next week. Today I received an Industrial Air 60 Gallon 155 PSI Compressor from Home Depot, so I've been working on that. When I got it, I read "Assembled with care in MN". Cool I thought, that's where my family is from. I get it wired up, install a ball valve to so I can have it build some pressure after the 30 minute breakin - it's a hisser. I took my time and did the wiring all nice, and then I had to rip it all out because some asshat didn't put any teflon tape or thread sealant on the threads where the cycle switch goes into the top of the tank. The switch side had some 290 or similar Loctite, but the bottom had nothing. So I had to take all that apart so I could seal it up. Now I'm doing a pressure test to see what else is leaking. It's not a Quincy or Eaton, but fills in a little over 6 minutes to 155 PSI which isn't bad. It's not quite, but it's not overly annoying either.

Anyhow here's a pic of an address sign I cut for my house. I'm learning how to draw which is a more complicated process than I thought it would be. Now that I understand the cutting process a bit more it's easier to stop making mistakes in the drawings because you see the results of it in past screw ups. I still have some improvements to do, but each day I'm getting better results. I also had to replace a control board in the CandCNC control box, because the original had a design issue which was causing missed steps. After a while my gantry would be twisted on the table due to the motors not getting the right step signals. Anyhow that's all fixed and I ran a long program, then measured each side in reference to the gantry track to make sure it's staying accurate. I also cut a 2.77" hole as drawn in my CAD program, and when measured with my digital caliper it was 2.761 on average. I'm very impressed with the accuracy on thiner sheet goods. Can't wait to get the 30A consumables in as that should help with some detail work for lettering.

David W.

I hooked up my new 60 gallon compressor with a Norgren filter and regulator in place of my 6 Gallon Porter Cable compressor I was using previously. It has made a nice difference in the cut quality and dross.

Here are some pictures of adjustment brackets I'm prototyping for a racing stand project I'm working on. The bottom one is the top side of the cut, the other one is flipped upside down to show the bottom of the cut. I've had some interest in my first prototype I built for a buddy, so I may fabricate them using my JMR bender and 1-1/4" square tube with minimal welding. In place of the crappy angle brackets I used on the first one, I cut these out of 12 GA for testing. I'd probably settle on 1/8", but the 12GA may prove sturdy enough in testing. I have not removed any dross and this was cut on a Powermax 45, 190 IPM, 45A with T45M torch. I'm learning every hour I work with this thing what to do. I still have an occasional issue with the DHTC cutting off my cuts even though I can cut a part several times without issue, then all of the sudden have torch issues on ever pierce almost. For reference I tried cutting this at 140 IPM and there was a lot more dross.

YouTube- Precision Plasma Gantry Kit Cutting Brackets

Here's the stand I built and what these would replace to support the center 1/2" roundbar.

Forza fans anyone?

Can't wait to get the 30A consumables in for this thinner stuff. I also begun work on my scriber / plate marker and hope to have that going in the next couple of weeks if I get some time to machine the parts for
    David W.

Wow that runs great. Very fast cut speed I like it. Fun to watch it do it's thing.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Here's a couple more videos. First is cutting a small two piece Route 66 sign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfH_qRZS3dU

The second I'm cutting a mounting plate for two air regulators and two 120V air solenoids that will control the scriber/plate marker/engraver. It has a series of pecks for drilling, mounting holes and some text. Mach3 will trigger the 120V coolant outlet which will power both solenoids supply air to a pneumatic cylinder and the engraver. Working on that in my spare time so I can engrave and cut parts all at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB1iGYe7Ezg
    David W.

I spent a little time yesterday evening drawing a bracket for my air dryer. I am installing my compressor outside in a 30x30 water heater enclosure, so I need to keep the overall dimensions less than that. I may tweak the regulator and small filter with a 45 degree elbow, otherwise I'm happy with how things came out. My bracket cut from 16GA worked perfectly after I bent it on my brake. The motor holes lined up perfectly, and it matched up with the original compressor itself pretty well which is what I wanted - clean installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FexVafKl5JU

I love having this cutting table. It makes stuff so easy, especially as I'm picking up Corel Draw better and better, I'm not making the same silly mistakes from my early days, like not closing or joining lines, etc.
    David W.

Do you have an idea how much you have spent on this verses buying one complete. Just curious?

I have spent considerably less building it myself than buying a turn key table with similar capacity. Was it a lot of work? Sure - but rewarding. I also was able to outfit the table just the way I wanted it. I also saved on freight and applied that towards using heavier steel for it's construction. I'm very pleased with the results and the investment. It is dead on accurate and keeps getting more and more flexible each day as I add more features to it.
    David W.