Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Rolls Royce Manifold Repair....

Hey guys,
    Attached are pics of the 2nd Rolls Royce exhaust manifold I repaired using the "Cold Welding Cast Iron With MIG" process I have used with complete success.

This manifold was cracked thru the inside flange & the manifold had a severe warpage. After wire wheeling clean, I beveled each side of the crack & extended a bit past the end of the crack. The weld parameters were: .030/309L wire(.01carbon content), 98/2(AR/CO2) @ 18cfh, 90-100A. I tacked each end of the crack & peaned to start. Then I ran a 1/2" bead(pull not push), peaning immediately after welding to relieve the weld. The casting got only warm to the touch & this is the secret to eliminating the dreaded "tinkle". After 15 min. or so back to room temp., I did the 2nd weld on the opposite side, peaning again. I repeated the process till the entire crack was filled nicely.

When I was finished, I took the manifold to the automotive machine shop that does all the machining on the race engines my brother builds. Their work is superb & they have a very extensive machining operation. They surface ground the manifold back to true flatness.

Here's the pics....(9).... gonna need (2) posts to get them on, so give me a couple xtra minutes. Thanks....

Denny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *