Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Default He meant 5 acres

Not five miles. I wonder how many hole saws he would go through notching schedule 40 pipe a few hundred? I dont think that type of notching is even worthy of consideration for a fence.Mike

Talking Beaver Brand

Well, you wouldn't want to buy a hole saw at Home Depot. If you spent $25-30 on a decent Hole Saw say at Rex Supply, or some other tooling supply house, and used a shot of cutting oil for each joint you could cut a thousand miles worth of saddles with only one hole saw. After you get the saddles cut hit each joint with a shot of brake cleaner or carb cleaner so the oil won't contaminate your weld and you're off to the races. I think McMaster-Carr has high quality hole saws you can buy online at www.mcmaster-carr.com.

I've cut access openings in header pipe for lateral joints using a hole saw in an End Mill and many times the header pipe was A108 Grade B xxh and I've never had a problem wearing out hole saws. Just use cutting fluid and watch your speed.

Clearly, the best way to fit fence, regardless of the joint, is with a template and a torch, whether oxy-act or plasma; however, the gentleman said he was having difficulty with this and so I just offered a different alternative.

For any given problem there exists an infinite number of solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-It-Hot View Post
    Well, you wouldn't want to buy a hole saw at Home Depot. If you spent $25-30 on a decent Hole Saw say at Rex Supply, or some other tooling supply house, and used a shot of cutting oil for each joint you could cut a thousand miles worth of saddles with only one hole saw. After you get the saddles cut hit each joint with a shot of brake cleaner or carb cleaner so the oil won't contaminate your weld and you're off to the races. I think McMaster-Carr has high quality hole saws you can buy online at www.mcmaster-carr.com.

I've cut access openings in header pipe for lateral joints using a hole saw in an End Mill and many times the header pipe was A108 Grade B xxh and I've never had a problem wearing out hole saws. Just use cutting fluid and watch your speed.

Clearly, the best way to fit fence, regardless of the joint, is with a template and a torch, whether oxy-act or plasma; however, the gentleman said he was having difficulty with this and so I just offered a different alternative.

That is good to know I will check out the site.Mike

any update?

Default Shur Kut - Where can I buy them?

I used a Shur Kut this weekend and I must have a set. I can't find any place that sells them. Can I buy them online?

Thanks,
    Darin

I have to shime in. The notch you'll have to do will be a half moon about 3/8 deep on each side. You'll have a 1 inch square edge on both the non notched side. So I would go around every post and scribe my notches measuring 3/8 deep and using the end of a pipe for the half moon part on both side and grab the torches with a clean # 00 tip and cut all my notches.
    Way faster then anything else. By cutting from the outside in, you wont have a hard time getting rid of the little slag left with a grinding dremmel bit you put on a grinder. fast an easy.

I would just do it with the torch. I made a a jig when I did A railing job and that worked real well.

Lightbulb Brake Cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by Make-It-Hot View Post

Brake cleaner smoke is highly toxic. Don't do this. One breath of the smoke can put you on the ground and maybe in it.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by ddivinia View Post
    I used a Shur Kut this weekend and I must have a set. I can't find any place that sells them. Can I buy them online?

Thanks,
    Darin
    I just bought one. Have not used it yet! I called Shur Kut and they had one of their vendors call me. I placed the order and it showed up one week latter like clock work. Now if I can just get it to stop raining so I can start my fence project!

Default Shur Kut

Quote Originally Posted by dan c View Post
    I just bought one. Have not used it yet! I called Shur Kut and they had one of their vendors call me. I placed the order and it showed up one week latter like clock work. Now if I can just get it to stop raining so I can start my fence project!
    Here's the contact info for Shur Kut:

WWW.SHURKUT.NET

Shur-Kut

Midland, Texas

Phone: (432) 689-2343

Fax: (432) 689-2795

Toll-Free: 1-877-689-2343
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.