This is a super old thread that I am bringing back to life.

I finished the project I was working on last fall and it turned out beautifully.

(It was a large hay feeder that holds several bales for cattle)

It weighs a LOT! but bygolly those old cows sure don't bend or break it like they do with cheap store bought feeders.

I've got another project to work on this weekend.

It's a mobile creep feeder that will be made out of the same matterial, I think I have enough 2 3/8" and 2 7/8" drill stem left as well as a quantity of sucker rod.

It's going to be about 8' X 10' and mounted on a mobile home axle so that it can be moved from one field to the next.

I'm still interested in hearing about techniques for good fit up of the joints.

Somebody asked what rod I'm using, the last project I used AWS 7018 1/8" that says it's for DCEP or AC current.

On the last project I used a 12 ton hydraulic press to crimp the pipe ends where they were welded together. I can still use this method but I found that it is very easy to crack the pipe when crimping and 12 ton is barely enough to get a very good crimp at all. SO there is a lot of time wasted filling and messing around when welding the joints.

I'm interested in the chop saw method others have mentioned in previous posts, I'd try the holesaw idea but it sounds like that would be pain staking and I can't imagine the holesaw making many cuts before it was junk. Drill stem is VERY hard matterial from my experince and about 1/4" thick matterial.

If I understand right, you are talking about notching the end of the pipe with a chop saw about 45 degrees an inch wide?

Wouldn't that mean that the cuts will not be the same depth because the wheel will not be in contact with as much of the pipe on the bottom side as the top? Or do you make 4 cuts to make the notches through the pipe the same depth and continuously turning the pipe over?

If somebody could explain more that would be great.

Thanks.