Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

davinci,

He'll be hard pressed to build a tilt mechanism that's better than that found on the Grizzly machine I mentioned.

Check out that item on the Grizzly site. Both tables tilt and LOCK firmly in place at any angle.

That Grizzly, with a 60 gr belt is a "metal eatin beast".

Also has a pretty good dust collection system built in.

A good belt sander can be great for tweaking a 45 deg angle on a frame. Ever tried taking off 1/16" with a bandsaw/chop saw/dry cut saw? Easy on a belt sander properly set up with a mitre gauge. Need a 46deg angle? No problem.
    Last edited by SundownIII; 06-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

I've heard a lot of good feedback on Grizzly tools. I have a whole host of woodworking tools as well as metal working tools. The woodworking guys I talk to like theirs as well. I might have to give them a try.

i have the grizzle sander too great machine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sander

Quote Originally Posted by davinci2010 View Post
    Most of the commercial models have tables that tilt as well. With the mitre gauge that would give you dual bevel capabilities. From the looks of the machine so far, you could design a table tilt and lock that is way better than what's on the store bought models.
    My goal is to tilt the table Hopefully I can build a better mouse trap This sander was more work than I first thought. Hope to get it done soon "Real soon"!!! Thanks everbody Vernon

On my 9x12 Dayton brand

The disc table is 6 x 10, the belt side is 6x10 they both have a dovetail slot in them for the miter gauge and they both tilt.. Like previously posted make it whatever your needs require..
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Default Sander Table

Quote Originally Posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
    On my 9x12 Dayton brand

The disc table is 6 x 10, the belt side is 6x10 they both have a dovetail slot in them for the miter gauge and they both tilt.. Like previously posted make it whatever your needs require..
    Found a sander today I measured the table 14 3/4" by 7 9/16" I will make it 8" by 15" Thanks for all the help guys Vernon

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    Bob nailed. Make it as big as you want.

What is that machined slot for? securing grinding jigs? I have seen some setups like that for knifemaking. The jigs are used to keep angles even and such things.

What do you plan on doing with that grinder? Such a wide belt is definitely not for knifemaking!

Mikel
    Usually the milled slot is used to accommodate a miter gauge such as you would find or use on a table saw. Basically for making accurate angles.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate