Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 12" by 6"x48" Sander need info

I started building my own sander But I don't know how big the table sould be. If you have a sander like this would you measure yours and let me know. I have no plans to go by sence its home-made. "Need to know how big is the table on the 6"x48" belt" Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vernon; 06-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.

If by table you are referring to the platen (the backing plate under the belt) check out this Grizzly sander. http://grizzly.com/products/Combinat...-Series/G1014Z

From the enlarged pictures you should be able to get a good idea of how large to make yours based on the size of your rollers.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Default Table

The table that I'm talking about is 90* out from the backing plate the belt runs on the backing plate is made as show in my pictures Just need to know about the table where the work rest on. And that table has a milled slot in it. Think its about 8" x 15" by 3/4" thick. Added a quick drawling of what I'm looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make it big enough to accommodate the size pieces you intend to use on it. Don't think there is any set size, just what ever size you think you may need.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Bob nailed. Make it as big as you want.

What is that machined slot for? securing grinding jigs? I have seen some setups like that for knifemaking. The jigs are used to keep angles even and such things.

What do you plan on doing with that grinder? Such a wide belt is definitely not for knifemaking!

Mikel

Default Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    Bob nailed. Make it as big as you want.

What is that machined slot for? securing grinding jigs? I have seen some setups like that for knifemaking. The jigs are used to keep angles even and such things.

What do you plan on doing with that grinder? Such a wide belt is definitely not for knifemaking!

Mikel
    Just a shop Sander for Angle,Flat Bar,Pipe,Square Tubing and channel sanding no one job. Just a shop sander. I wanted to build

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Just a shop Sander for Angle,Flat Bar,Pipe,Square Tubing and channel sanding no one job. Just a shop sander. I wanted to build
    I built mine for 50x2500mm belts and it is one of the most usefull tools in the shop. I built it thinking about knifemaking but I end up using it for a lot more stuff than just grinding the bevels on the knife blanks.

Good luck and let us see how that beast eats metal once you finish it!

Mikel

The machined slot would accommodate a protractor such as on a table saw. It would be valuable for repeating angles or to just hold the stock square & rigid. Obtain the protractor prior to milling the slot so that it will not be too close.

Jerry in Anchorage
    Last edited by muskt; 06-03-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Ommission

I have the Grizzly model G1276 sander in the shop. 6" x 48" belt and a 12" disc. The table for the belt sander is 7" x 12 1/2". The table for the disc is 7" x 16 1/2".

The mitre slot in both tables comes in very handy. I use an Incra miter gauge in the slot to obtain "true" angles. Works really well for "fine tuning" a corner joint. I would definitely want a miter slot in my table.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Most of the commercial models have tables that tilt as well. With the mitre gauge that would give you dual bevel capabilities. From the looks of the machine so far, you could design a table tilt and lock that is way better than what's on the store bought models.