Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default 12" by 6"x48" Sander need info

I started building my own sander But I don't know how big the table sould be. If you have a sander like this would you measure yours and let me know. I have no plans to go by sence its home-made. "Need to know how big is the table on the 6"x48" belt" Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vernon; 06-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.

If by table you are referring to the platen (the backing plate under the belt) check out this Grizzly sander. http://grizzly.com/products/Combinat...-Series/G1014Z

From the enlarged pictures you should be able to get a good idea of how large to make yours based on the size of your rollers.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Default Table

The table that I'm talking about is 90* out from the backing plate the belt runs on the backing plate is made as show in my pictures Just need to know about the table where the work rest on. And that table has a milled slot in it. Think its about 8" x 15" by 3/4" thick. Added a quick drawling of what I'm looking for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make it big enough to accommodate the size pieces you intend to use on it. Don't think there is any set size, just what ever size you think you may need.
    Flash me! I'm a welder.

American by birth, Union by choice! Boilermakers Local 60

America is a Union

Bob nailed. Make it as big as you want.

What is that machined slot for? securing grinding jigs? I have seen some setups like that for knifemaking. The jigs are used to keep angles even and such things.

What do you plan on doing with that grinder? Such a wide belt is definitely not for knifemaking!

Mikel

Default Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

What is that machined slot for? securing grinding jigs? I have seen some setups like that for knifemaking. The jigs are used to keep angles even and such things.

What do you plan on doing with that grinder? Such a wide belt is definitely not for knifemaking!

Mikel
    Just a shop Sander for Angle,Flat Bar,Pipe,Square Tubing and channel sanding no one job. Just a shop sander. I wanted to build

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post

Mikel
    Usually the milled slot is used to accommodate a miter gauge such as you would find or use on a table saw. Basically for making accurate angles.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate