Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default More of a Cutting question

I'm looking to make my wife one of those Bells made from the large Gas cylinders. I'm not planning on cutting the decommissioned cylinder myself however I am looking for suggestions on what the safest cylinder I should look for. I've been told that CO2 is the safest for cutting into. Is this correct? What about Argon?

I'm in the eastside of Seattle, WA area and of the few places I have called either send off their decomissioned tanks or they only have Oxy-Fuel ones. Most have been generous in stating they'll hand off a C02 K size when one comes in, but 2 years have passed - and I'm branching out now for suggestions.

K's diameter just feels right - the height won't matter as the cut height I'd expect ~36" tall. An XL (14.5") would be really neat but at the same time huge.

Once I find the tank or tanks if I can find 2. My next question will be who will cut them and what documention will I need to prove they are proper?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenGeiger View Post
    I'm looking to make my wife one of those Bells made from the large Gas cylinders. I'm not planning on cutting the decommissioned cylinder myself however I am looking for suggestions on what the safest cylinder I should look for. I've been told that CO2 is the safest for cutting into. Is this correct? What about Argon?

I'm in the eastside of Seattle, WA area and of the few places I have called either send off their decomissioned tanks or they only have Oxy-Fuel ones. Most have been generous in stating they'll hand off a C02 K size when one comes in, but 2 years have passed - and I'm branching out now for suggestions.

K's diameter just feels right - the height won't matter as the cut height I'd expect ~36" tall. An XL (14.5") would be really neat but at the same time huge.

Once I find the tank or tanks if I can find 2. My next question will be who will cut them and what documention will I need to prove they are proper?
    I cut mine with a band saw. You need to cut 2 inches up from the bottom of the cylinder to avoid the "indention" in the bottom.

Griff

I may be about to make a very stupid statement here so watch out...

Provided the gas cilinders are uncapped, empty and well ventilated... what prevents you from cutting it yourself? I have never checked one of those big gas tanks you are talking about, the closest thing I have seen are diving air bottles. If you unscrew the manifolds, and such any kind of gas inside is going to come out. No harmfull vapours, no explosive gases... nothing.

Mikel

Default Bad advice!

Don't forget Mike - some gasses are heavier than air. Propane will settle to the bottom of the bottle and sit there waiting for you - ready to blow your ash out of the room. There's more to it than just opening up the tank.