Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default how high a welding table should be?

I'm planing my first table.
    i thought about 90 CM from the floor. so I can stand and work comfortably.

If you are the only one using it, or you are the one paying for it, then make it the height that feels right to you. I always make a simple mock up out of plywood or cardboard on projects like this. It is much easier to see in 3D than to guess at it with a tape measure only. If you work on projects that are all different sizes consider a table with two levels. This allows a lot more options for clamping and positioning your workpieces as well as yourself.

Hi

There are alot of threads on this subject.

Basically, the height depends on what you are doing
    and the person doing the work.

A mock up is a good idea.

Also, look at the height of your kitchen counters -- how do they
    feel as you are doing stuff there? That would also be a good gauge.

One trick that I find useful is to make a bench somewhat lower
    than I'd like -- which is good for working on bigger things -- and
    then put risers on top so that it's easier to work on smaller things
    that may require finer work.

Finally, the woodworking people have written a bazillion books about
    woodworking workbenches, etc, etc. One of the key things they talk
    about is (you guessed it!) height. You might want to get a couple of
    those books and see what's in them.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by davinci2010 View Post
    If you are the only one using it, or you are the one paying for it, then make it the height that feels right to you. I always make a simple mock up out of plywood or cardboard on projects like this. It is much easier to see in 3D than to guess at it with a tape measure only. If you work on projects that are all different sizes consider a table with two levels. This allows a lot more options for clamping and positioning your workpieces as well as yourself.
    thanx,
    how do you make two levels?
    do you have pictures of that?

this is my plan right now (thanks to google sketchup)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't have any pictures as my digital camera is broken. I left the waist height work surface as the largest as that is where I do most of my work. I built another smaller work surface at a height about the same as my knees when standing. It's actually like a big table with a smaller and shorter table welded to it's end. Your design looks good. Think about projects you might build on this table and things like clamping ect. It's easier to change now than once you've started. Everyone needs something different in a worksurface. I left off grinder hangers and the such as I would likely just clutter my table up.

Quote Originally Posted by nachche View Post
    this is my plan right now (thanks to google sketchup)
    Out of curiosity, what's the function of the square tubing under the top surface?

The legs of my welding table are made of 3" square tube, with a 1/2" hole at the bottom of the legs.
    I then took 2.5" square tube and drilled 1/2" holes spaced 1" apart and inserted them inside the 3" legs so that the table height can be adjusted from 24" to 36" @ 1" increments by raising or lowering with a floor jack and a 1/2" hitch pin in the hole on each leg.

The casters are pinned on in the same manner so they can be removed when I don't want the table to be moved. It has been very helpful for me to be able to adjust the height of the table for different jobs to take some of the strain off my back when welding out of position for long periods of time.
    20 lb. Ford Tune Up Tool
    Miller Syncrowave 350DX
    Miller Syncrowave 200R
    Millermatic 250 Mig
    Miller Thunderbolt 225V
    Miller Elite Hood
    Century 130 Porta Mig
    Harris Multistage Oxy/Act
    Milwaukee 9",7",4.5" Grinders
    Milwaukee Porta Band
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw
    Lisle 7X12 Horiz/Vert Band Saw
    00 Dodge 3500 Dsl Dually Tool Box

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Out of curiosity, what's the function of the square tubing under the top surface?
    here is your answer...
    that way i can move the vice and put it in every corner/side of the table.
    it doesnt have to be only for vice.. can be used for grinder etc.
    (I think I took the idea of 2 legs to that mount from your garage picturs... so thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Asking what height a welding table should be is like asking what size shoes you should buy.

Buy a pair/build a table that's comfortable for you.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Quote Originally Posted by nachche View Post
    here is your answer...
    that way i can move the vice and put it in every corner/side of the table.
    it doesnt have to be only for vice.. can be used for grinder etc.
    (I think I took the idea of 2 legs to that mount from your garage picturs... so thank you!
    Ah, now I see. They're receiver tubes. Cool.

If you haven't built it yet, you might want to re-think the recessed area for the saw. I don't know that you want to weld and cut in the same location, since the heat/slag/grinder-spray might not be what you want for the plastic parts (and motor) on the saw. You can cut steel all day on a wood surface, and you could probably make a table that works for both a metal cold-cutting saw and a wood-cutting miter saw, if you do both kinds of work. (I'm a hobbyist, so I do everything in the same garage.) I think if my saw were that close to my welding table, I'd end up cutting up a welding blanket to make a hood to put over the saw to protect it.

If you're talking about an abrasive wheel chop saw, it might not matter. I guess they would have to deal with a lot of heat and dust since they generate so much. But I chucked my abrasive saw a long time ago.