Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shop floor question

I have a 22'X24' shop that I built a few years ago. I constructed the floor using a mini home floor that I had cut into 4 peices then joined them back together in my back yard. It was good deal but I had no idea at the time that I would be getting into welding. Now that I have a plywood floor to deal with, are there any suggestions out there on coatings, cheap coverings of any kind that I could put on top of this floor to allow me to weld inside the shop rather than having to go outdoors all the time with my mm 180 ?

personally, i would either use a cheap laminate tile or a thin coat of concrete.
    i think industrial laminate tile is best in my opinion.
    my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

jcb, let me look the information up at work but we used a spray on material in the locker rooms that would work out great. That was 10 years ago and those floors have been abused but they still look good, no gouges or cracks.

Anything too hard or stiff on top of plywood though is going to crack for you and we all know a crack is where sparks love to land.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

put down a cemeant bourd like thy use behide tile and then use a self leveing
    cemeant

Default Try this..

Light weight concrete! This stuff is the best. Your local ready-mix plant should have it. Prep is easy, floor is strong, quite and dosen't cost that much. When we expanded our shop we used this by suggestion as the best solution all the way around. It's been in for 5 years with no problems!

Good luck,
    TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

tac, not so fast. Lightweight costs almost double normal mixes here. Plus, it is only about 20#/cuft lighter...nowhere near enough to justify it. Lightweight is subject to area as to whether or not it is even available or if it is cheap or not. Gypcrete is more common here instead of lightweight. No idea about the cost of it, though., I just mess with the regular stuff.

There are also floor leveling mixes that would work. Self levelers like Ardex might work.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Thanks guys,

I like the ideas of spray on stuff or laminate tiles. I look forward to hearing from you KBAR on your spray on who manufactures it. Are you saying that laminate will handle the hot stuff the welder will throw at it ? What kind of laminate though ? Beacause the shop is on blocks and winter is harsh in this area, the building is subject to heaving sightly between seasons. For that reason I'm hesitant on using any type of concrete that may crack.

Default metal sheet?

I've been wondering about a floor protector, as well. My shop has PVC tiles that a car can be parked on. I don't want to tear it out. I asked the welding dealer if a metal floor cover would break any welding safety rules, and he said no. I could use two 5x10 ft. sheets for my main welding area, and I have a heavy duty welding blanket to use elsewhere. Thoughts?

Default Metal floor

Maybe thats why they CALL it tread plate

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default metal sheet

Well, OK, tread plate is one thing, but, my concern is metal flooring specifically in a welding situation. Like if it inadvertently becomes part of the workpiece ground. And, rather than tread plate, I'm thinking of maybe 20 gauge.