Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Pulse Mig Gas Question

I just bought a MM350P with the xr alum pro gun last week. I have been running regular MIG mode due to the fact of not having time to play with the pulse. Well Saturday came and I had time. I got the pulse running nice. I used the book settings and dialed in the arc length and sharp arc settings.The book alse recomends a 90%argon/10Co2. I used my 75%argon/25%co2 tank with good results. I was thinking about getting a 90/10 tank on my next refill. Will there be any difference? I am welding steel by the way. I think I will be pulse mig welding everything now. It's really nice! What is the difference if any in the weld appearance or structual qualities with the 90/10?

At 1st I was not impressed with anything except the guns smooth wire delivery over 25ft. It was'nt untill I got the pulsed mig going that I was amazed. I can't wait until I can run alum.
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by MD Welding View Post
    I just bought a MM350P with the xr alum pro gun last week. I have been running regular MIG mode due to the fact of not having time to play with the pulse. Well Saturday came and I had time. I got the pulse running nice. I used the book settings and dialed in the arc length and sharp arc settings.The book alse recomends a 90%argon/10Co2. I used my 75%argon/25%co2 tank with good results. I was thinking about getting a 90/10 tank on my next refill. Will there be any difference? I am welding steel by the way. I think I will be pulse mig welding everything now. It's really nice! What is the difference if any in the weld appearance or structual qualities with the 90/10?

At 1st I was not impressed with anything except the guns smooth wire delivery over 25ft. It wasn't until I got the pulsed mig going that I was amazed. I can't wait until I can run alum.

Praxair's Mig Mix Gold (90-10) works well on pulse. I use Praxair's Stargon, 90%Argon, 8%CO2 and 2%Oxygen. I'm not a real weldor, and can't tell if there's a difference.

MD Welding,

Nice setup you've got there. Glad to hear the pulse is working out for you.

Be careful, several posters (one of which I think was with Miller) have noted that the Push/Pull gun was designed for aluminum and a constant diet of steel wire will prematurely wear out the liner and that the liner for that setup is "VERY" expensive.

Don't have a push/pull myself but thought I'd throw that caution out there. Might be worth a call to Miller tech support.