Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Motorcycle Trailer

I just found a new project for a couple hours. I was doing a search on Motorcycle Trailers on the web and this happened to come up in the results. I wanted to share it with you guys if any of you have motorcycles. I'll be modifying mine a little from this design. As anyone ever seen one of these or hear how well they work ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOTOR...spagenameZWDVW
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I'm not gonna say that this is not a bad idea overall, but after seeing a friend of mines bike remains from using one of those it became quite clear to me that that particular unit is only as good as the tie down straps being used to secure the bike. He had used some ratcheting straps that were made from none other than China and their failure resulted in a totaled out bike. Fortunately no one was right behind him when the straps broke and the only injury was to the bike and his pride. Here's a picture of the trailer that I built him to haul his new bike around with, in my opinion this is the safest way to transport a bike. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Talking trailer

I agree with dabar39...................
    too much weight, especially with the bouncing and vibration. its only as strong as the straps or the bolts holding the thing together. what kind of bolts(studs) are they? whats the rating on them? looks like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't use the thing for my pedal bike. hope he used some thread lock on the studs or his bike is going for a ride without him. nice trailer dabar39.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

It might work with one of these;

http://wheeldock.com/

There is also a similar unit that has a cam to pinch against the sides of the wheel, that is pretty sturdy.

Default Man

Ehh-Errr-Ahhh,

Yikes, I don't think I've ever seen one of those? From the looks of it, it looks as if the rear of the bike is being pulled. If so, what happens when making a tight turn? The rear tire is fixed. Will it just kind of sweep one way or the other? Looks dangerous and I would have to agree with dabar39 & dustyhaze75.

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Thanks for all the responses. Also, nice trailer Dave, what is that, about a 4' x 9' ?

I do know from reading other web sites that during a turn the back of the bike would lean just as if you were riding it, it would pivot at the forks. And I agree 100%, if you are transporting a big money bike, why buy inexpensive straps to save a dollar. I think in the right conditions with the right straps and everything else, it would be ok.

If I do build one, I would be using grade 8 - 1/2 inch bolts bolts and a little thicker metal, 2 or 3 straps around the wheel. It would only be used on short trips like to take it into the shop during inclement weather or to drop my SUV off at the garage, leave on my bike. Never would I haul it across country like some of these people did, they added an additional 2000 mile to the back tire and if the tire would have gone flat, they never would have known.
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Ken, that trailer actually started out to be a 5'x8' utility until the incident with the straps happened and he needed something that his new bike would fit on. We decided to extend the deck a foot and a half to accommodate his new bike. With the deck being extended to 9 1/2' I had to Vee the nose so he would have enough turning radius. This trailer was never intended to be for his bike, but with a little re-work it came out perfect for his needs. I've added some of the pics before the rework and the finished trailer as well. If you notice in these pictures the center board was removed and replaced with a piece of 11 ga. sheet that was sheared and broke to fit the trailer frame. The two inch recess allows the bike to stand up straight on the kick stand, also if you look you can see the original tailgate that was removed standing up against the wall. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Dave, thanks for the pics and nice job. I like the way you did the center by recessing the steel. I may go this route too instead of the hitch thing, all depends what my wife says If I do, I may use your idea on that if you dont mind. Whats one more trailer in my yard.

I never gave much thought to rounding the front corners off like that. Is there really much benefit to it other than tight cornering ?
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Ken, On a normal 5'x8' trailer the center of the coupler is set at 41" from the front edge of the trailer, extending the trailer deck forward 18" without Vee'ing the nose would have left it with virtually no turning radius at all. Look back at the picture titled Miller 1 and you should be able to see how short the distance between the front edge of the deck is to the coupler, it's only about 24" clearance. Now if you go back to the picture with the original 5x8 utility configuration you will see a big difference in the tongue length. Dave

dabar39;
    Like that trailer,plenty of good ideas' there and the c channel is the best I think.
    tacmig;
    That is one ballsy squirrel there!
    KBar;Take everyones advice and humor the wife, it is easier to replace a good ride that walks then it is one that rolls.Build the full trailer and sleep good before using it!