Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Smoker pit

Hybrid View

Default Smoker pit

Son has been into BBQ for a while, half and whole hogs, shoulders etc. Doing it for Veteran's groups, Fraternal order of Police etc.for their fund raisers.

He has been renting a ragged pit form a meat processing place. The last two times the pit's they gave him were nothing but problems. So as things go he decided he needed his own. He was going to build it with a friend that has built a number of them. Last minute the guy balks and backs out.
    So I became the default builder.

I will say up front I know nothing about BBQ or the smokers. Since the guy that was to build it, bailed a week ago last Tuesday. We had to clean, season, and build the cooker box and fire box etc. as it is currently in use today on the other side of the state doing 170 plus pounds of pork shoulders for a veterans group.

It ain't pretty but it does the job, 4'x5' cooking grate area. I did learn what not to do when building one. As the info that was passed on to help us was bogus, wrong and was the points of more wasted time. So there will be some rework to be done before blasting and high temp painting of it.

We added 4 fold down trailer jacks to the frame so it could removed by placing the jacks on top of cinder blocks and lifting it up and sliding the trailer out. So it could be used for other things
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

I hope your smoke stacks don't just connect to the top of the smoke box as they appear. The objective it to trap the smoke and heat, let it flavor and cook the meat and then exit. If they are just welded on top you're defeating the purpose of it being a "smoker" and you will get some uneven heat and cooking.

Here's one I built for a raffle to benefit the March of Dimes this year:

We raised nearly 6K. The guy that won it happens to be a buddy of mine and wants to sell it if anybody is interested.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Ok since all the ones that I have seen in person have the stacks either at the top or the top sides. It works well as he did 170 pounds of pork shoulders today. No complaints about the food.

So how do you guys out west do it. Considering the fire box is connected across the front of the tank width at the lower part. If the vents went down there it would just suck the heat and smoke out faster.

There are dampers on the ends of the stacks to control the amount of the draft going up them, along with a number of dampers over the air inlets to control the air in and rate of firing.
    thanks
    glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space