Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default tig machine on stainless

I need a little help figuring this out. I want to buy an inverter tig but unsure if the 150 amp machines can do the job. Sure would be nice to save $750-$1500 and not go bigger (200) on the machine. The material is 304 stainless round bar. The picture includes a before and after shot. I've been doing this inhouse with the miller 210 mig, making two passes - one on each side. I would like to have a cleaner looking weld, as in the picture which was outsourced. As with the mig, it would be ok to make two passes. Load factors are not an issue. The 150 amp machines have all the bells and whistles I need, just not sure about having enough power.

Thanks for the help. Tom

I think a 150 amp machine would be stretched to it's limits on solid bar stock. (one inch, I presume?) I'd look around for a 200-225 amp machine.
    Dave

Smile

I weld stainless almost daily and have for nearly 32 years and I am positive a 150 amp machine will be more than enough to handle any job like you have pictured. I have welded 1 inch solid stock and did not use 150 amps.

Good luck
    Wheelchair

Thanks Wheelchair, that's good to know. I wasn't sure. I was thinking of the duty cycle of the machine.

dang, forgot to mention it is 1/4-inch solid stock, close up shot with the camera makes it look bigger. Tom

Hello sir, 150 amps would be about 3 times what you would need for 1/4" round stock! it you dont forsee any bigger projects in the near future i would go with the 150 machine, if you start getting into aluminium then bigger might be better.

Default tjv senior

hey tjv, i own a maxstar 140 s and a maxstar 150 both with the tig and they are awesome little portables with lots of juice.they will more than handle what you are doing in the pics with power to spare.i have done all kinds of work with them and they work great , i would suggest useing either 1 16 or 3 32 filler as i feel thats all you would need and it will make your welds look alot nicer.(ps i do an awful lot of stainless pipe from304 to 316l in tha nuclear stations and thats all you will need good luck

thanks for the help. just ordered the maxstar 150 sth with tig package from BRwelding. ebay special with cylinder. tom