Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Formed C Channel-Need help with Dimensions

I am trying to find dimensional data and crossection information for 10 Gauge Formed C Channel. If you look at Truck Service Bodies or Flatbeds for trucks and even some trailers, they will tell you its (the trailer, service body, bed) is constructed with 10 guage formed c channel. I have done Google Searches till I'm blue in the face and cannot find any dimensional data of any kind let alone anybody that even sells this product for people to construct things with. Hopefully someone here, on this forum can direct me to the right place to get the information I am needing. I have found all the info I need on round, square, rectangular tubing, angle iron, and standard c channel, its the Formed material I'm having issues with. Many thanks to anyone who can help me find the information I am looking for. Please responde here on this thread or via private message.

Charlie Johnson
    Plainview, TX
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods

Default Info needed/?

We form 10ga P&O as channel frequently. What specifically are you wanting to know?
    ~ed~

Have you ever noticed that enough is usually too much?!

Generally, formed C channel is formed to OD dimensions, but you should check and confirm this before ordering, This is how it's always been around here, but no telling what is customary local local local. This is true around here, with both a simple C out of 3/16", or a more complex "C", with a double break both top and bottom, with just 12 gauge, both will be 4" od, top to bottom.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Formed channel is not a standard size. It is made to the dimensions specifically for a job. For instance your going to make 100 utility bodies. You would determine the leg lengths & width needed in your application as well as the thickness of material used then have it produced. If you are looking for a specific size then just have it made but if your designing something then you need to engineer it to figure out the size & then have it made. Any competent fab shop with a brake can make it for you especially a few pcs. For longer runs then you would look to a manufacturer with roll forming equipment.
    Last edited by MMW; 05-20-2010 at 05:32 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I was talking about standard truck bed parts (crossmembers) as sold by many steel service centers.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

It might help if you tell us the application & qty. your looking to use.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Guys,

Thanks for the answers. Now I know why I haven't been able to find standard dimensions on this stuff.

The reason I was wanting dimensional data, I have a River City Body 24 Ft. x 96" Flat Bed that is constructed with 4", 5", and 6" Formed C Channel for the Bed Cross Members and Head Board. The Primary Subframe is 6" Channel Iron, weight unknown but can be found with a couple of measurements.

Anyhow, I am wanting to 3D CAD Model this bed so I can design a trailer frame to go under it. I have tires, axles, and suspension already and 1/4" wall tubing to be salvaged from another trailer for my purposes. Well, I just get some measurements and lay it out. I was hoping for some standard dimensional data to make the job easier. Oh Well, you can't have everything. Thanks for the response guys.

Charlie Johnson
    '77 Miller Bluestar 2E on current service truck
    '99 Miller Bobcat 225NT for New Service Truck
    '85 Millermatic 200 in Shop

'72 Marquete 295 AC cracker box in Shop
    '07 Hypertherm Powermax 1000 G3 Plasma Cutter in Shop
    Miller Elite and Digital Elite Hoods