Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've used both paint and powdercoat finishes before. The key to how well a finish turns out and if it is as durable as advertised is to follow instructions. Every finish manufacterer provides a tech sheet for their product. If the finish applicator is the kind of guy to crumple up said sheet and do what he wants to do, then he has no right to complain when the finish fails. many finishes cannot be applied over a sandblasted surface without first sanding it to a specified grit. As long as I have followed the tech sheets, I have never had any major finish problems.

I don't have much use for powder coating either, done right, not done right, who cares but lots of rust under it. I have used most of the Dupont line, the zinc is fine for auto body, I guess its ok in general but for equipment we use Corlar epoxy primer followed with Imron industrial top coats. I don't do much fancy for prep, sandblast, followed by quick hit with hand scuff of scotchbrite, simple blow off with air, then prime. The brite is important, first it dislodges stuck sand and second it smooths hi spots from blasting, you can really feel the difference, bare blast then run hand over, scuff it then feel. It knocks off little spikes on surface that tend to stick up thru primer.

I got my rig back from paint shop today. Black really shows how bad the wheels need a polish![IMG][/IMG]

The rig looks great.

I just got done sandblasting and painting my truck utility bed also. It's nice to get it done isn't it.
    Matt Kline - My mobile welding service

ive had beds that were painted, ive had beds that were powder coated, funny thing is, neither one last for crap after the first time you slide a piece of 1 inch 2 ft by 2 ft plate over it, or throw an excavator bucket or frame for a hydraulic breaker on it....
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    ive had beds that were painted, ive had beds that were powder coated, funny thing is, neither one last for crap after the first time you slide a piece of 1 inch 2 ft by 2 ft plate over it, or throw an excavator bucket or frame for a hydraulic breaker on it....
    Like I said ALL finishes will eventually fail, the time depends on how you maintain them and treat them.
    If you plan on setting large items like that on your deck your best bet would be to cover those parts with some type of box liner. It too will fail depending on how rough you are with it, but it would be about the best way to go.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin FOR SALE
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    The "cargo" portion of the bed will have a heavy rubber mat. One of the reasons I went with paint is ease of touch up. I dont think a work truck has to be ugly. I cant stand that this one has been rusty for so long.

Default Will never rust

I had my deck Hot Galvinized dip in 2002 when i built it.8 years later not a sign of rust.Been throwing metal on the deck,excavator buckets,snowplowing/roadsalt.Hasn,t done a thing to this coating i ,d recommend this to anyone wanting zero maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    I had my deck Hot Galvinized dip in 2002 when i built it.8 years later not a sign of rust.Been throwing metal on the deck,excavator buckets,snowplowing/roadsalt.Hasn,t done a thing to this coating i ,d recommend this to anyone wanting zero maintenance.
    nice rig, never would have thought of having it galvanized.... good idea. how much did that cost?

and seriously, down here in hillbillyville (arkansas) i have been (this is God's honest truth) run off a couple jobsites because my truck wasnt beat up enough, dirty enough, and the likes. to quote one person "son, you cant be a REAL welder, that truck is too pretty. Makes me think you aint work enough, now go on, i'll find me a workin welder"
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Back in 2002 it was $1400.00.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA