Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default necessity is the mother

if necessity is the Mother of invention and laziness is the Father then where does "broke and can't afford a real one" come into play......that's easy...you just make one!

i need a stock trailer to get my calves to the feed lot and an overused, practically spent stock trailer is $1500 minimum. so i did what any broke welder would do....i'm making a cage to fit on my car hauler. VOILA---car hauler yesterday, stock trailer today!

n/i my time i figure less than $500 in the cage. i went to Oneal Steel to buy some angle and while we were sittin there chewin the fat a forklift rolled by with 25 pcs of 2x2x.25 - 11'6". the driver said it was all miscut. long story short i got it for 40 cents per lb. i only need 6 pcs 16' long so i just made them.

i only have about 6 hrs in it so far and i hope to finish tomorrow if the weather holds up. maybe even get it painted

it'll be 76" wide x 16' long x 6'7" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 BEST 6 Y/O HELPER IN THE WORLD
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    LOTS OF HAMMERS MISC SIZES
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    SOME GOOD COMMON SENSE (I THINK)
    TRACTOR WITH NEW HEAVY DUTY LIFT POLE -- FIND MY THREAD
    6 GOATS, 1 DOG, 1 DONKEY...
    ON AND ON AND ON...

With the quality of store bought goods today I usually end up " re "- making them after I've bought them. You've got the right idea; Use what you have and purchase what you have to. By the way; How's that lift pole for the tractor working out?

haven't really put the loads to it yet...but it picks up these 500 lb panels no problem. the next excavator bucket i get will really try it out. or maybe i'll go pull some fence posts up. that's usually pretty 'tuff work for a lift pole

don't worry, though. if it fails i'm not too proud to admit it. heck, if no one gets hurt i'll probably be excited about getting to repair it!!!

2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

Default trailer

I love seeing really useful stuff like this that you real welders do. Me, just playin' around as a hobby but I think it's cool to see real stuff! Also: good score on the steel!
    Professional firefighter (retired). Amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: GO BIG RED!

Quote Originally Posted by grnxrymnky View Post
    if necessity is the Mother of invention and laziness is the Father then where does "broke and can't afford a real one" come into play......that's easy...you just make one!

i need a stock trailer to get my calves to the feed lot and an overused, practically spent stock trailer is $1500 minimum. so i did what any broke welder would do....i'm making a cage to fit on my car hauler. VOILA---car hauler yesterday, stock trailer today!

n/i my time i figure less than $500 in the cage. i went to Oneal Steel to buy some angle and while we were sittin there chewin the fat a forklift rolled by with 25 pcs of 2x2x.25 - 11'6". the driver said it was all miscut. long story short i got it for 40 cents per lb. i only need 6 pcs 16' long so i just made them.

i only have about 6 hrs in it so far and i hope to finish tomorrow if the weather holds up. maybe even get it painted

it'll be 76" wide x 16' long x 6'7" tall.

Being able to use your car trailer for both hauling cars, materials and your live stock is worth more than just having a $1500 wore out stock trailer or even a new $5000 stock trailer, cost of being creative and having a multiple use trailer Pricless LOL!

all I can say is Great Job there grnxrymnky

Peace Out!

Default worked fine.......

thanks for the compliments!

Next Project -- getting him out!

btw...hauled them to the sale tuesday without a problem. only thing is--i need to make up a cut-gate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE
    ON AND ON AND ON...

I like it!

How's that door work...slide up or swing open?

From that last picture looks like it makes a pretty good babysitter too.

Al
    Miller Dialarc 250 HF
    Lincoln Classic 300D
    AutoCAD 2010...Paper Is Cheaper Than Metal
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Milwaukee & Hilti Power Tools
    John Deere Equipment
    Paints and Quarterhorses
    Billy Cook Roping Saddle
    Billy Cook Reining Saddle
    Our YouTube Channel

Thats sweet great trailer and you cant put a price on that.

Great stuff

Awesome idea and job! Good lookin' young bull ya got there too.

I may have missed it in the photos but how are you securing it to the trailer when in use?
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Default Thank you!

THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS Y'ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Awesome idea and job! Good lookin' young bull ya got there too.

I may have missed it in the photos but how are you securing it to the trailer when in use?
    thank you sir! he's a real prize, a blue ribbon winner if i say so myself.

it holds down with chains and binders...of course the rails of the trailer come above the treated floor about 2 inches so not worried bout it sliding side to side. i just hadn't tied it down yet when i took the pics.

the door swings open past 180 if necessary. it's secured with chains that wrap back around and fasten to a welded on clevis. i need to make a quick latch so as not to let one escape if he gets in and makes a quick turn-around. as it is now i'd just have to let him come on out. i wouldn't try to go head-to-head with a 600lb steer.

yes, excellent baby sitter

one steer left....loadin' him monday mornin. then when i offload the cage, it's pain-it time! it should have already been painted, but time was an issue.
    2 VICTOR O/A TORCHES
    LINCOLN SP 175 PLUS
    4 EACH 20 TON JACKS
    SEVERAL LESSER TON JACKS
    SEVERAL GRINDERS
    BIG PILE OF MISC TOOLS
    CLASS A CDL'S
    C7500 FLAT BED
    4 TRAILERS
    HOME MADE GANTRY CRANE