Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Nice Project for Mill Owners

Shortly after I got my mill, I realized I needed a vice right away. The little piece of crap vice you get with the mill is barely worth more than a paper weight. Anyone that has machined with a mill understands the reason for having a quality vice that doesn't lift the material during tightning of the jaws. I couldn't afford a quality vice such as Kurt at that time so I decided
    to make my own table vice. Reasons I like this vice is: Size is restricted only by the length of the milling table. Another plus is this vice was made on my mill so if my mill table is a tad off, it will machine the vice the same tad off and I will be accurately holding my work pieces.

This vice was made from one hunk of metal (I believe it is cast).
    The pins are 1/2 inch CR steel.
    The surface of the vice that has the vertical holes bored to secure it to the
    table should be milled low enough to make up for the thickness of the bolt head.
    I have since bought a 6 inch milling vice on a turntable base, but I hardly ever use it. This small vice gets used most of the time because it is so handy and it doesn't weigh 75 lbs. (which is a pain to pick up)
    Also with your mill, you get to make your own T slot nuts. (cool!)
    I hope the pictures will speak for themselves.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd61/mamamia64083/th_P1010137.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press