Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like to know how this all started, wondering if they were trippin pipe or drilling ahead. And how many wells they had punched around that area.

Hate the fact that some have died. When I heard this I shed a tear, I know what it’s like to be up in the tree or on the floor when you get a kick. I’ve had 2 fires back in the day. If they were trippin pipe, that drill string could be a bird’s nest on bottom around the BOP and all hydraulic line severed. Could be why they’re unable to close any of the rams.
    Still what a mess. Hope this box works

God bless the missing and there families
    Last edited by FabTech; 05-07-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    Fab Tech

The box didn't work according to the ABC World News. Fire was caused by methane gas if I understood correctly. They[rig workers] said a gyser of water shot as high as 240' in the air before the gas exploded. Those that survived are lucky.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

If that is the case, when they took the kick all the drilling fluid came up out of the hole, when that gas and mud comes racing out of the hole through the rotary table the bushing pop up and if they strike metal that your spark itís like a giant blow torch. They might of panic, and no one kicked the valves to the bag. Or maybe the Bag didnít work at all. I know when I was a rough-neck that drill was practice over and over again. Still wondering if they were drilling ahead or trippin pipe anyone know?
    Fab Tech

They were casing the well. I know 3 guys that worked on the rig, 2 of which were off the other was on it when it blew out luckly he made it off alive.
    Last edited by PipeLayer; 05-09-2010 at 09:05 AM.
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"
    Miller Spectrum 625 X-treme
    Miller Bobcat 225

Pipelayer, glad your friends are ok.

This only means that the BOP failed. Running casing is an open hole. The Shear and blind ram should have worked. So here they go finger pointing at Halliburton for setting a bad plug.

Any rig welders out there?
    Fab Tech