Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knowledge

Default Knowledge

There has been a lot of safety and my equipment doesn't work out of the box question's lately. No I know that some of you don't have the experience that some of us do. With that said when someone ask's " What's the safest way to do this or that" You have to ask yourself "What would a Professional welder do?" I'm not trying to upset anyone but our society has lost the ability to use common sense! If a propane bottle has just been taken out of service maybe you shouldn't cut it with a torch or a grinder. I'm not saying it can't be done but the diy fella is not going to have the experience or knowledge to do something like that. If your Victor regulator doesn't work "READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND DON"T TALK SMACK A?BOUT A PRODUCT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!" I know there will be a bunch of hater's out there but I don't care if this save's one guy's finger's or life it's done it's job. I watched a guy lose all of his finger's on one hand in a 20ton break because he was to cool to ask for help. Welding is serious business it shouldn't be taken lightly. All it take's is a lapse in judgement and you've burnt your house down or lit yourself on fire. Enough ranting, Be safe and alway's protect your self that way you can hug your kids and wives at the end of the day! Just one man's opinion. Jef

x2 and 2 Thumbs Up.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Cool

GREAT...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Could not agree more!

I agree. But I just don't think it's fair for people to chime in with advise not based on real experience or knowledge and not indicating they are just sounding off(speaking to the Propane tank debate you refer to )
    With over 12 years experience, I believe I can humbly call my shelf a "professional". I do this for a living. I'm a very conscientious person. I've spoke to well qualified, industry professionals, on the topic and follow the preparation procedures without fail.
    If I'm theorizing in a reply, I indicate so. If I'm making a joke, I make it as clear as I can.
    Unfortunately, forums are so full of people that give advise based on no first hand experience, "a friend said...", or "I heard..." that I would say, yes, take any info you get as only a gauge. If what you're wondering seems possible, then go speak to someone, face to face, that is a "professional" or has first hand knowledge in the area of your question and get them to advise you or better yet show you.
    Work safe, surf safe, be safe.
    Best regards,
    Bert

We have the safety 'industry' to blame for that. Thanks to agressive propaganda from govt, lawyers, and the fear of responsibility in big companies workers have unprecedented access to safety equipment and information. As well workers now are actually considered valuable enough to be worth saving from injury. This is mostly great news. The problem we see now is that workers are even less responsible for their own actions and safety since their entire behaviour is dictated by the "safety rules" enforced on them. When a new situation arises which isn't spelled out in the above rules workers are less likely to be able spot potential danger and figure out a way around it. What we end up with are people worried about their safety (good) but have trouble identifying the specific hazard and dealing with them without outside instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Freelance Fabber View Post
    We have the safety 'industry' to blame for that. Thanks to agressive propaganda from govt, lawyers, and the fear of responsibility in big companies workers have unprecedented access to safety equipment and information. As well workers now are actually considered valuable enough to be worth saving from injury. This is mostly great news. The problem we see now is that workers are even less responsible for their own actions and safety since their entire behaviour is dictated by the "safety rules" enforced on them. When a new situation arises which isn't spelled out in the above rules workers are less likely to be able spot potential danger and figure out a way around it. What we end up with are people worried about their safety (good) but have trouble identifying the specific hazard and dealing with them without outside instruction.
    That's what I'm saying! We all need to be responsible for our own safety as well as other's. If someone does something wrong and hurt's someone in the process you can be held liable. People have to use common sense, Do I really need my face or finger's or a propane tank planter , ash tray, whatever. Just think before you do!Jef

WOW!!! Finally, someone has spoken what i have wanted to say for ages! BRAVO!!!
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

What did people do before the internet?

You know, at the end of the day, each individual is entirely responsible for their own safety & choices. Of course, some things are entirely out of our control. Sure, we can argue "real world" this & that, "urban legend" this & that, "this regulator stinks" this & that... "No it won't blow up", "yes it will" this & that.........

But......Every single one of us has a brain inside our heads. Some choose to use it less than others. Some shoot off their mouths without knowledge to back it up. Some propagate total BS. Some share true stories from verifiable sources who eye witnessed the account. Some ask questions they should know are entirely without merit. Some ignorantly defend those individuals without looking at the big picture either. Some jump to conclusions based on a very limited amount of information. Some just like to go on & on with worn out mantras & their "real world" experience..........

Yeah, we can beat this to death.

I could really care less.

At the end of the day, rest assured I'M going home to my family based on the choices I make. Although I haven't the welding skill some here have, I've been around heavy industry in the Midwest for the last 10+ years & lived a life growing up in some of the toughest gang run crack cocaine neighborhoods in Las Vegas.

I would sincerely like to think I didn't make it this far from making poor choices.

You got a brain....Use it.
    Last edited by 7A749; 05-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Default Interesting Discussion!

This forum consists of people from all over the world. I am in the USA and speak of those in the USA.

Many people are idiots. Many people are stupid. Many people live in fear of being sued and are afraid to do anything that isn't 'certified' by some agency or organisation...justifiable, but sad. It's what we've become as a society. We are afraid. We are pathetic. We've done it to ourselves though.

We've all become complacent - most of us. When we hear of a person who gets a 3 million dollar settlement for a car accident that left his finger permanently twisted we shake our heads and say 'oh well'. When the banks jab us $34 for a $3.45 overdraft on our debit card we *****, but we pay it. When Wells-Fargo bank rips us all off with their foolish Vegas style gambling with our money - we merely shake our heads in disgust and leave our money in their banks.

We, as a whole, are a lazy bunch of slobs that care more for watching the football game than setting things right or studying a manual and learning something.

We did it to ourselves. We keep doing it. It's going to get worse before it gets better.