Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Too small of gun/cable on MM350

If there are some Miller Tech or others with Miller parts experience, I need to know why a LWS would send over M25 gun and cable
    Last edited by Pat; 05-03-2010 at 09:41 PM.

i used to work for a very large sign company and i ran into this same kind of junk all the time. there isnt really an answer on how to deal, just sending condolences for having to deal with it.

for example, it was time to buy a new steel mig machine (most of what i did there was aluminum, and used xmt with xr-a feeder and gun) the clerk told us that we would be getting a mm252, but the amount of welding that went on there, the 252 would cycle out too much. she saw cost, i saw production. i went to the boss (main boss) and explained the deal... i can weld with this machine for 6 minutes out of 10 at said amperage... meaning that i will stand around waiting on the machine to cool down 4 minutes out of every 10 minutes, therefore you would only get 5 hours worth of work in an 8 hour day, on the other hand, with the bigger (mm350p) not only would i be able to weld non-stop, but if the xmt and feeder went down, the 350 could take its place until needed repairs or replacements are completed...

the big boss told me to order the machine that i wanted/ needed... if you break the costs down in terms of production and labor, then maybe they will see the light of their actions
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Could someone explain why they should have replaced the gun with an equal or larger model. I would mention this to the clerk, but coming from me she would just think I am trying to undermine her authority and judgement..................thanks.
    Suggest to her that the M25 gun will probably not last in an industrial environment. If you go around her to the boss she could make your life miserable. Then just do your job. After you burn up a couple . . . she may get the idea.
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Thanks for the responses. While editing my post I accidently somehow wiped out the bulk of my original message. Basically I would like a Miller Tech to explain why an M25 gun will not work very well, or last very long on a MM350 when doing a lot of welding on thicker steel. I will need to show this response to our maintenance manager in the hopes that he will direct Ms. penny pincher to order the correct size of gun and cable assembly, even if it might affect her end of the year bonus for spending as little as possible. The MM350 came with a Bernard Q 400 gun .........thanks.

Pat,

Tell them the M-25 gun is rated for

100%: 200 Amps with CO2, 150 Amps with mixed gases
    60%: 300 Amps with C02, 200 Amps with mixed gases

The Millermatic 350P is rated at:

60% duty cycle: 300 Amps
    40% duty cycle: 350 Amps

Pretty obvious to me that the M-25 gun is not properly sized for the Millermatic 350P. Most likely, you'll just end up melting a few M-25 guns before they get some bigger/better mig guns.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Abuse it until it melts own, and tell her to order a new one in two weeks. It used to be a pretty effective method when I was working i the utility business, expensive but effective. It shouldn't take long to melt it down with the 350 running at its full amp potential.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Abuse it until it melts own, and tell her to order a new one in two weeks. It used to be a pretty effective method when I was working i the utility business, expensive but effective. It shouldn't take long to melt it down with the 350 running at its full amp potential.
    that is the reason why we needed to buy a new steel mig machine at the sign company, my department supervisor told me to "melt" the ancient L-TEC mig machine that we had. *devilish grin* i unhooked the wires to the cooling fan, cranked it up and ran beads on scrap until it let the smoke outta the wires
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    i unhooked the wires to the cooling fan, cranked it up and ran beads on scrap until it let the smoke outta the wires
    Sounds like fun
    Dynasty 300DX
    MM350P
    Hobart Handler 120
    Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
    Smith AR/He Mixer

Millermatic 350/350P machines come stock with the Bernard Q300 15' mig gun with Centerfire consumables.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed