Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Do I really need a cooler for my Dynasty?

How's it going guys. My name is Ryan, I'm right outside of Wilmington NC, prior Air Force, AUDI tech and wannabe welder. This is my first post here after ghosting for a few months. I'm a novice at the trade. Getting ready to start taking somemore welding classes at the local CC this spring. Had a few months of of welding/fab at NASCAR Technical Institute a couple years ago. We did alot mig and a little tig but I never noticed my my hand getting hot. I'm trying to outfit my garage with the basics for light fab and art. I've noticed some guys getting uncomfortable in < 4 mins. Is that about right? By the way, the dynasty is my first machine and I can't wait to grow with it. Be ready for another newb asking stupid questions. I'll search before I ask, I promise.

RH
    Last edited by hollidark; 11-27-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Default Welcome

Welcome Ryan

The only stupid question is the one thats not asked. If everybody searched the net for their answers and information, this message board would probably not be in existance.

There are plenty of knowledgable people on this board in all areas of welding so if one cannot answer, another can or we work together.

We all like to see pictures of projects, welds, anything you are working with.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I agree with Ken. I will be the 1st to admit I am a fairly inactive member. I guess I am more of a lurker. I do know the advice given here is pretty good. Expescialy when you get the same anser from a few different people.

I keep saying to myself to post more, but have a difficult time finding time. I guess being to busy at the shop is a good thing.
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

Default I forgot!

Get a water cooler. You will be way more productive. No waiting for your lead to cool or worrying about melting it.

Worth the money.
    Mike
    MD Welding & Fabricating L.L.C.
    mdwelding@sbcglobal.net

What Dyn machine do you have. I had a 200DX for a year and did not have a cooler. Then I sold the 200 and got a 300 DX. I used that for a year without a cooler, then got a cooler on e-bay and a torch kit at LWS. I would never go back to air cooled if I don't have to.
    T.J.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

I ordered the 200DX from IOC with foot contractor kit. Then I got thinking about their other kit with the coolmate 3. I need to make up my mind so I can change the order befor they ship it. I probably don't need it now, but I'd rather go ahead and take the beating at once. Hopefully it will come in handy this time next year when my 12ft tall stainless sculptures are coming to bear <-- Statement brought to you Yuengling

you don't need one,..... but it will make the top end of the dyn200 more comfortable if you spend a lot of time there. an air cooled #17 torch will be fine , but could get hot on long runs in the higher end. its really going to depend on your usage. i don't have a cooler on my TA-185 and have not had any trouble, but want to build one for fun mostly. if you have the $$ and think you will be doing a lot of work in the higher amp's or long days of steady welding i would say go for it. if $$ is tight, go air for now and upgrade to water later if you feel the need. having an extra torch around for air cooled portable work will come in handy later if you go to water cooled later, so no $$ waisted by starting out with air cooled.
    congrats on the dyn 200.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Get the cooler. I love the small torch compared to the big air cooled torch. Just an opinion from a hobby welder though.

Did I mention.

GET THE COOLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

have fun with your toys

Oh, yea. GET THE COOLER.