Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

travel speed wont have much or any effect on how the wire burns, you just get a fat or skinny weld, do some thing for me, get a piece of 1/4 plate, keep it small say 4x4 inchs so it gets hot, set your machine at 5 low range and wire speed at 39-40, clip the wire, hold the gun straight up ( this is for a flat weld). get comfortable so you can see the wire when welding, pull the trigger and push the gun and puddle, keep it close to your work, check your cone as posted earlier, do you know the difference of push or pull. with a test plate this small you will get results quickly, that should lay down a nice bead, 3/8 to 1/2 wide a slight hump in the middle with the sides fused nicely to the plate, it will change as the plate heats up , keep the settings the same. if this dosent give you a good weld you could have to replace what i mentioned earlier or, heres a big 1, do you have the wire spool tension, the roller tension correct, is the liner in the gun hanging up, if any of these are off your welds will look like yuk, alwaws keep your gun cable straight, not all curled up, if your wire is burning back and spitting out, this is an area to investigate, once you get it down,get a closepin, small piece of paper towel, clamp the paper with the cloths pin onto the wire just as it leaves the spool, it will stop at the roller adjuster, leave it there, replace paper every few months, this will keep your liner clean, give it a go

I'm pretty sure that all is well w/ the machine. Short of breaking open all the wire connections at their terminal points and plug-in ends, cables all look in great shape. No dryness, cracking, burnt edges, or arc-marking on brass plug-ins. Brass is still clean.

Now, technique: is the goal to stay in a straight, steady line w/ the gun tip; or perform a slight 'c' motion, or weave?

The liner is new, only has had literally 1 or 2 feet of wire run thru it tops, just installed it over weekend. New tip. Have cleaned out the gas nozzle.

Speaking of the gas nozzle, would the diameter of that nozzle have any bearing here? THere are 3 sizes,according to decal on machine;a 7/16", 1/2", & 5/8" dia nozzle for my ga-20c gun. I have the 5/8".

Also Have experienced what happens if gun lead is curled around on itself and slows wire feeding down, so am sure that is not an issue. Now I make sure to keep gun lead as straight as possible.

I have piece of plate to try, unfortunately too late tonight to test. Tomorrow not looking good either, but will try.

If I'm correct, I'm looking for the plate to melt and form puddle? Correct? And then the wire melts into the puddle as push along? See that's my hang-up. With out 'formal' training, I'm trying to determine what it is exactly that I'm watching for to happen. Thanks so much for your patience...
    MM200;GA20-C
    & Spoolmatic 1
    MM130
    AEAD-200LE
    Linc Stick AC/DC 225
    Linc 100 [fluxcore]
    O/A
    Port. Bandsaw
    Horiz/Vert Bandsaw
    Grinders:bench;
    angle;4",4 1/2",7"
    '71 International TLB

I have about a year's worth of formal welding education plus about five years of informal/OJT - still managed to learn a couple things watching the video in link below. Not perfect, but it's worth the $25 they want for it and it will cover all the basic questions you're asking. If you learn better by reading, get Miller's GMAW handbook.

http://www.weldingvideos.com/gmaw.html
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Thumbs up

You should see the puddle form very shortly (basically right away) after you pull the trigger. Before you weld, think about it and set up your gun with max 1/2inch stickout and set up your gun angle ready to go. Pull the trigger and the puddle will form. Now move the puddle as you push/pull(drag) your gun. Push and pull are what they are! By pulling the gun, you will get deeper penetration into the metal and by pushing the gun, you will get less penetration. I personally prefer drag (pull) since i find it easier to see the puddle but thats preference! Don't move too fast because your gun will break away from the puddle. However if you move too slow, you will burn through. Keep a moderate speed and keep your hand steady. Always keep an eye on the metals you are joining to check you are penetrating both metals. I started using flux core not long ago and now have a decent welder and can weld pretty average. At first it was hared to do a straight line but with most things, practice, practice, practice!!! I found it helpful(and still do!) to read all the books and resources you can. I haven't taken lessons yet but may just to progress further into more welding techniques such as TIG.
    Just my few nits but hope they help from my little experience!

Good luck!

Sorry i originally said push technique gets more penetraion. I screwed up. Pull gives more penetration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sammy; 05-05-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Pulling the weld will result in deeper penetration.

Any chance there is a problem with the mig gun trigger not releasing quickly enough when you stop welding?
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Default push/pull

my opinion only, the mig was designed to push puddle for flat, horzontal and over head, then you pull it down for vertical, this is basically the normal thinking, but you will get into situations where the complete opposite will work where the traditional thinking wont, so practice and patience is the way to learn, hands on, we all learned this way, i know i made a mess before i made a weld

Default dum me

i asked you to run some beads, i want to compare yours to mine, i run .035 70-6, the settings i asked for are for .035 wire, sorry if i messed you up, i bought my mm200 in 1986 and have ONLY run .035 , i have no experience with 030 and 045 on the mm200

Thanks guys so much.

I've had a crazy week and haven't had any chance to respond here, sorry bout that.

MR 57, thanks - I ordered both the MIG DVD and the Torch- cutting.

Sammy, thanks for outlining the basics. That's what I need to get back to.

Kevin, I had a quick chance to run a few beads this afternoon. I was wondering about the wire size you had in mind when you suggested the feeder settings. Yes, I'm currently running 045, so I'm sure that effects the weld and the settings, altho I'm not sure in which area[s].

What if I ran my Spoolmatic 1 gun w/ a small spool of 035 as a test. Would that be the same thing? I realize it bypasses the GA-20C & Also the Spoolmatic is a bit unwieldy due to it's size, but I've been wanting to break it in anyway. [I actually just drove up to NH to get it bout month ago...can't think of which part tho - bout 3 hour drive from me, but 1/2 price of cheapest ebay offering]. Wanted it for extra reach and also AL-welding option. Already have new 035 steel wire for it, just haven't tried it yet.

I'm thinking I may end up w/ 035 in the MM200 again. [I initially thought to keep 045 in it for real heavy tractor repair while I could keep the 035 in Spoolmatic, and 025 fluxcore in my 110v machine ... to have bases covered].

BUT- If the 035 is better suited for the MM200's capabilities, and will help me get better all-around welds as a beginner, that's the way I'll go. Seems that you experienced guys still run 035 in same machine, so it only makes sense that I can make do w the same? I figured I could turn down settings when using the 045 to do smaller thickness plate, but I'm thinking that - to do it correctly- I don't have enough experience to determine which settings/stick-outs/travel speeds etc to get the best weld.

OK, I'm eagerly awaiting the MIG How-to DVD to get more insight,,...thank you all so much.
    MM200;GA20-C
    & Spoolmatic 1
    MM130
    AEAD-200LE
    Linc Stick AC/DC 225
    Linc 100 [fluxcore]
    O/A
    Port. Bandsaw
    Horiz/Vert Bandsaw
    Grinders:bench;
    angle;4",4 1/2",7"
    '71 International TLB

Default tbert

you mentioned new hampshire, you should of stopped in, look at my web site for phone numbers, location, ect, you are always welcome, kevin, www. forest road welding.com
    Last edited by kevin; 05-08-2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: i left a space between my name and web site, the post did not copy what i typed, it looked confusing