Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey Welder one you get me on that job and I'm flying tommorow. LOL
    What kind of glove you're using??

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    here's another one from the same engineer that should be on the not so bright thread........ so, i'm welding with solid wire mig 12vs extreme and a pro 300 machine, and the engineer stops me and says that im running too hot... said that i have the machine set at 29 volts and that is too hot for .035 solid wire mig... i tried to tell him that the voltage at the feeder was gonna be less for having 150 foot of lead and 3 tweco style quick connects in line and get this: he says that i should not be having voltage and amperage drop through welding leads, that welding leads wont drop amperage over 500 foot let alone 150 foot.... where do they find these people???

i do like to run a little on the hot side as the rings are 3/8 and the drum itself is 1 inch thick... 200 amps @ 24-25 volts at the feeder and c-25 mix.... sounds like procedure not too hot

Can you use 1/16 wire , lay her down quick

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    that welding leads wont drop amperage over 500 foot let alone 150 foot.... where do they find these people???
    10 feet, 100 feet, 10,000 feet of wire doesn't matter. If you have 200 amps flowing into one end, you have 200 amps flowing out. Called Kirchoff's current law.

He just happened to misapply it by assuming the current going in would remain constant (not a far out assumption given the term constant current). Probably didn't get his hands dirty through engineering school.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote:
    Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    that welding leads wont drop amperage over 500 foot let alone 150 foot.... where do they find these people???
    10 feet, 100 feet, 10,000 feet of wire doesn't matter. If you have 200 amps flowing into one end, you have 200 amps flowing out. Called Kirchoff's current law.
    In our two electrical classes in mechanical engineering school, we were taught to think of current as our flowrate and voltage as our pressure. Yes, you'll have the same current at 10 ft or 10,000 ft, but you also have voltage drops due to the resistance of the wire, quick connects, length, diameter, etc.

What kind of engineer is this? Not a good one if he doesn't know basic principles. I guess the concern is over the integrity of the drum, but since the fins are 3/8, you wouldn't be able to set the machine too hot for the 1" drum otherwise it would just melt the fins without ever welding to the drum. He should leave the welding machine set up to the licensed welder.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Hey Welder one you get me on that job and I'm flying tommorow. LOL
    What kind of glove you're using??
    should be done tomorrow night with this job. i am using miller heavy mig/ stick left hand, tillman 46l right and a steiner backhand pad on my left... gaudy, but effective.

as for the 1/16 wire, its what i had originally planned to use, but the engineer thought that the breeze would blow the shield gas off the weld and that i should just use solid wire mig.

i know that amperage pretty much stays the same over the length of the leads, but with voltage drop on a machine set at constant voltage over the length of the leads and quick connects, i had the voltage set higher at the machine than at the feeder

thursday, i'm heading out to a sand quarry to set 10 new conveyors and the structures to hold them... 90 foot in the air... another 45 days worth of work. i'll start a new thread for that job
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

I'm no engineer but wouldn't it have made more sense to just put a water jacket around the pipe instead of welding on fins if they want it cooler? Is this thing supposed to be air cooled? Is there some huge ducted fan in the works?
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Quote Originally Posted by MR.57 View Post
    I'm no engineer but wouldn't it have made more sense to just put a water jacket around the pipe instead of welding on fins if they want it cooler? Is this thing supposed to be air cooled? Is there some huge ducted fan in the works?
    it spins.... they spray water on it, but, the finished product comes out of the cooler at around 900 degrees and they are having problems with the bearings on the lift chains (its all i know) as the product comes out of the cooler, it has a chain with buckets on it (similar to a sistern for water) the lifts it to a hopper and from there, it falls into rail car for export. the original drawings called for the cooler to be 150 foot long, but the land this company bought wouldnt fit a cooler that long. the kiln is 640 foot long and also 10 foot in diameter.

they have only been in business for little over a year and are learning as they go. (there are talks of them adding another kiln and cooler for more production)... and i learned all of that from talking with some of the plant employees as they gather around my truck for lunch (yeah, i built a small charcoal grill into the bed of it)
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

well, the infamous engineer problem is officially solved..... busy melting wire today and the puddle changes, look over and the engineer was adjusting the settings on my machine! i did what every red blooded weldor would do, i rolled everything up, shut machines down and started to head to the house. i called the job foreman to let him know, and no sooner than the "hello" came at the other end, the owner of this aggregate plant walked up. he asked if i was done, and i told him nope, that his engineer has been a serious hold up on progress, changing me from 1/16 FCAW to .035 mig, adjusting my machines while in the middle of a weld. he called that engineer over, and fired him..... whoa.... i dont like for peeps to lose their job, but i cant afford for the goober to be ruining my machines.

on another note, i should have been done today, but they are adding another 4 foot of cooler fins to the drum.... another almost 400 foot more of weld. i ALWAYS get the good jobs
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Wink

I thought engineers drive trains.