Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default 2,600 foot of weld.... 1 giant radiator

the past few days, i have been contracting to an industrial construction company. they are making a cooler for an aggregate drier "cooler". the finished product was coming out of the cooler still way too hot and needed more surface area. the drum is 36 foot long (only the last 15 feet get the fins) set on 4 inch centers... my big blue pro 300 is getting a decent lil work out as the fins are welded solid weld on both sides to the drum. im still in the fit up phase, so more pics to follow... (btw, the fella in the last pic (part of the construction crew is 6 ft 4 and 300 pounds)..... to give you an idea of the size of this "giant radiator")
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Looks like you have got you're hands full for a while.

I hope you have a wire feeder!
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

i have a trailblazer 302 and 12vs suitcase, im using that to tack it all together and for fit up, i have a stand alone feeder on a frame with wheels powered by the pro 300 that i will be running 1/16th FCAW. the fillet on the weld was spec'd to 5/16... i can do that in a decent paced single pass with the bigger fcaw wire....this one is definitely a one time deal, i doubt very seriously that i will EVER weld 3/8 rings on a drum on 4 inch centers.....................ever...
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

That'll surely keep ya outta trouble for a good while!

How were the quarter circle plates cut?
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

they were cut on a water table by a machine shop in northern arkansas...
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

this might be the wrong thread to post this, it should go in the "not so bright" thread, but, it was on this job..... get this.... I'm running 1/16 fcaw with a c02 shield (not a self shielded wire) and the engineer comes over and decides that i shouldn't be using flux core because the breeze was puffing a little bit and that i should be using solid wire mig.... when i told him that both use an inert gas shield over the weld puddle, he abruptly and snidely replied " Well, I am the engineer..." and to which i replied "y'all are paying me by the hour, i'll run 3/32 7018 stick rods if that's what ya want" (they are on a time constraint and need this thing welded out by Tuesday morning) so, its on to 16 hour days until its welded out with .035 solid wire mig...... baaaaaaaahhhaaahhahhhahahahahaaaaaa
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com