Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by raptorex View Post
    Well Stillwelding it may be time for you to do a bit more research about non USA manufactured welding equipment.I believe nearly all brands of tig welding equipment produced outside the US are available with foot controls.Also most of the European manufactured machines are technically further advanced than US equipment.I have a 230 amp single phase AC/DC tig manufactured by Kemppi in Finland.It also has the ability to weld Ali in a mix of AC and Dc.
    Have a look at Kemppi.com.Also German manufacture EWM machines
    So the ability to use a mix of AC/DC current ( yes I understand the waveform ) somehow makes the machine more advanced?? From my understanding the control strategy of a Dynasty series machine can be configured to do the same....the question is....why? Is it really useful...or is it just a gadget? Complication for the sake of complication? Is the effect that much different than pulsed AC? A good reality check for me, is to remember that we went to the moon, using torch welding, transformer tig, slide rules, toggle switches, and skilled engineers and fabricators. I sometimes think we just develop more gadgets to replace skill.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

I have a 230 amp single phase AC/DC tig manufactured by Kemppi in Finland.It also has the ability to weld Ali in a mix of AC and Dc.
    The dynasty 350 with individual control of EP vs. EN is exactly the same as mixing AC + DC. If I may EN 100 Amps, and EP 50, its like welding at 75Amps AC + 25 Amps offset (DC).
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Default Foot control

Well Stillwelding it may be time for you to do a bit more research about non USA manufactured welding equipment.I believe nearly all brands of tig welding equipment produced outside the US are available with foot controls.Also most of the European manufactured machines are technically further advanced than US equipment.I have a 230 amp single phase AC/DC tig manufactured by Kemppi in Finland.It also has the ability to weld Ali in a mix of AC and Dc.
    Have a look at Kemppi.com.Also German manufacture EWM machines
    Thanks for the info. about the more modern European machines. I worked at Rocketdyne in Ca. and we had the first Digital control Kemppi (no longer sold in the US) mig weld system to weld the Chromoly jacket around the expendable launch vehicles, it was great. I'm also familiar with EWM (not sold in the US). My old boss at Astro-Arc Polysoude was the CEO at EWM. My main complaint was an ESAB machine (think Dynasty 200) I had which didn't come with the foot control. The price as an after sales accessory was somewhere near $900.00. Hope your machines come with them standard.

I will also say that I believe that the technology in European designs is quite sophisticated. The noise control of the arc and things like Time-Wire from Fronius are really something else.

Stillwelding

Stillwelding -

You worked for AAP? I was just there last week.

Default Esab tigs

I had an Esab Heliarc 160i and as Stillwelding said,the foot control is a problem.You can get one for relatively cheap,but you cant set max amperage with it.If you want to be able to do that,you need to buy the $700-900 one that has a separate potentiometer on it.Otherwise,the foot control goes from zero to max amperage.Not a big fan of that,

Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite