Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

hey nick,that is one kick *** little bot you made there,cool i fly r c helis and planes myself,question? where are the servos? how do you control turning and reverse ? electric speed controller?

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    nice to be able to see under the cover. Looks like alot of fun and challenge.
    What are the two servo's on the front right corner running? how many channels do you need for this app? 4 or 5?
    whats just to the left of the reciever and at about the same hieght?

are those grey cables to feed the motor(s) ?

if I may offer a suggestion, reroute the inter battery connecting ground wire and pass it under the diehard's + post. the ground looks as if it is sitting on top of the diehard + post. That could spell disaster.

All in all a nice rig Nick. Do you think you'll ever enter a robowar competition?

one day i'm going to make one too. I could have picked up a mobile electric seniors chair the other day. I didnt and now im kinda kickin myself. It was a battle of space and time. I have neither the space or the time right now..
    too many planes and cars and boats and work and homework and life and and and
    The grey cables are to the two motors
    I'm using 5 channels now....left stick controls left side, forward stick forward and back is reverse....Right stick controls right the same way.
    Left stick...left and right controls a relay thats switches power from 12 to 24
    VDC to provide 2 speeds. A variable speed control for r/c and these size motors would be be very expensive....$5-$600 when I checked about six years ago when I built this.
    Right stick.....to the right opens an air solenoid to raise the front forks.
    to the left opens a different solenoid to let the forks down and also a loss of some air per cycle. The air tank is a 50 lb freon drum.
    The forks will lift about 150 lbs.
    The 5th channel(retracts switch) turn the headlights and taillight on and off.
    The receiver gets its power from a Radio Shack 12 v power thing w/different outputs for cd players etc.
    To answer another persons question....the bot is a skid steer like a Bobcat.
    It has a lot of torque plus it's just fun to mess with. Sometimes I put a wireless camera on it and control it from inside my shop with the door closed
    watching a tv. That's harder than one would think because of a single straight ahead view.
    But it also does work around here. It pulls my 3 seater Jet Ski on trailer around and sometimes with the small lawn trailer I have in the idea gallery, it hauls yard stuff etc. Originally I made this to go get my morning paper on slick icy days but I just got carried away. Maybe just a bit of overkill. The contactors, micro switches all come from air conditioner parts and icemaker stuff. The contactors are 24VAC but work fine on 12VDC.
    The only thing bought new for this were the sprockets and chains and headlights. Even the cab is modified a/c metal housings welded together. If you haven't seen it go to youtube and enter GOT BOT? and see the video.
    Later
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Thumbs up

cool toy.
    good way to get the morning papper if ya ask me, not over kill at all.
    thanks for the pic's.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Very, very interesting!

The Bot kind of speaks for itself, real nice! I was more interested in your hydraulics's (knowledge). Now please PLEASE bare in mind I know little if nothing about them but am interested in learning because I have a project (personal) that I'm going to undertake some day that will require custom hydraulics. I have studied schematics on their structure and operation and could probably fake one if I had to. But my problem is that I have never been able to understand how to develop a rating i.e 5 ton, 10 ton etc. Or perhaps to better put it, how would one go about building a 5, 10 or 15 ton jack? Is there a formula such as: cylindar lenght, width, piston design etc. Or is it based mainly on psi?

Been wondering, any thoughts?

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Default Cool

Thats pretty darn neat! Now if you could only adapt a mower deck and GPS to automatically mow the lawn

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    The Bot kind of speaks for itself, real nice! I was more interested in your hydraulics's (knowledge). Now please PLEASE bare in mind I know little if nothing about them but am interested in learning because I have a project (personal) that I'm going to undertake some day that will require custom hydraulics. I have studied schematics on their structure and operation and could probably fake one if I had to. But my problem is that I have never been able to understand how to develop a rating i.e 5 ton, 10 ton etc. Or perhaps to better put it, how would one go about building a 5, 10 or 15 ton jack? Is there a formula such as: cylindar lenght, width, piston design etc. Or is it based mainly on psi?

Been wondering, any thoughts?

TacMig
    Here is a site with info that might be a start on understanding hydraulic system design...

http://www.hydraulicsupermarket.com/...ents_doc_5.pdf