Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home made air cylinder

Ok guys, those of you who are familiar with me, know how I like to make stuff. I have always been fascinated with hydraulics. Here is a cylinder I made from scrap material. A lot of you have lathes and making a piston or a rod or an end cap is not much of a chore. But...trying to make the cylinder with a smooth bore that is accurate is difficult if not impossible for the home shop.
    My neighbor had a new deck put on the front of his house and for ballisters they used 3/4 inch round black aluminum tubes. There was scrap left over and being who I am, I saw visions of what I could make. The tubes are 3/4 inch OD... .654 ID with a very smooth bore. On the box it said this was 6061 extruded aluminum.
    With this size bore and at air pressure of 100 psi you can expect about 33 lbs of push from this little cylinder, which is more than enough power to open large tool box lids, robotics, etc (your imagination is your only limitation).
    The first pictures show the end caps I made from aluminum and the rear end cap and piston have been grooved to accept O rings to seal better. This is a single acting cylinder and no seal at the rod end. The rod is 1/4 inch.
    The threaded hole in the rear cap is 1/8 inch pipe thread which is very common. The fitting is 1/8 inch pipe thread on one side and 1/4 inch compression fitting on the other which makes it very handy to use 1/4 inch aluminum, copper, or flexible plastic line for your air supply. The last picture shows the cylinder assembled. There is no rod end because I have not yet decided how I will apply this.
    At first, I had thought I might TIG the caps on but I was afraid that I may slightly distort the cylinder from the heat. If you will notice, on the end caps, enough of the cap is inserted into the cylinder that I could pin it in place with 1/8 inch roll pins. That is why I put an O ring on the rear end cap and the pin is between the O ring and the brass inlet fitting.
    One good thing about finding this resource (as far as the cylinder) is you can custom make any length you need to fit your exact need. I am going to check into a larger ballister tubes for more power.

I hope some of you will find this useful.
    Nick
    PS I suggest you use a restrictor orifice at the air inlet so the piston/rod will slam out too quickly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monte55; 11-25-2007 at 10:31 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

COOL PROJECT.
    it looks like the cap's are long enough you could TIG the lip at the end without distorting into the slide portion of the tube. it would no longer need the seal if it was tiged closed, so you would not need to try to keep from melting it, just keep the slide clear of the heated end as you were TIGing it. although that would make it impossible to service if it was TIGed closed. so maybe its better the way you left it.

so what do you think it will end up on ????
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Hey Fun............If you remember some months back I put a post and a link to a youtube video of my r/c 4 wheel skid steer bot as I call it. The entire top
    swings forward like a cab on a 18 wheeler. Whenever I need to get to the inside I prop it up with a stick of wood. Rather redneck.....huh? Since it already has an air tank on it for the front forks, it could also lift the cab. How cool would that be. Kind of like a lowrider bra! If you need to refresh your mind go to youtube and put GOT BOT? in the search bar.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Nice job Monte. Be interesting to see it in action.

Hopefully I have the time someday to play around a little more and experiment like that.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Nice job Monte. Be interesting to see it in action.

Hopefully I have the time someday to play around a little more and experiment like that.
    Are you talking about the cylinder or the BOT on youtube?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

STUCK IN DIAL UP HE--. no you tubeing for me.
    got a still shot of it ??
    sounds like a good plan to lift but will the home made tubes hold without sustained air flow ?? how good are the seals ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    Are you talking about the cylinder or the BOT on youtube?
    The cylinder and the BOT. I have an old golf cart I want to rip apart. Plans were to make a little dump truck with dual axles. That fell by the way side for now.
    Last edited by KBar; 11-26-2007 at 07:15 AM.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Default Still photos of bot

Pictures inserted by Mrs Nick, so he may come back and edit this.
    Last edited by monte55; 11-27-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

Default Still phots of bot, two more

Notice the "High Tech" board I held up the bot cab with. I hope to replace this with the air cylinder I just made.
    Nick

Photos inserted by "the Mrs."
    Last edited by monte55; 11-27-2007 at 09:42 AM.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Propane Forge

nice to be able to see under the cover. Looks like alot of fun and challenge.
    What are the two servo's on the front right corner running? how many channels do you need for this app? 4 or 5?
    whats just to the left of the reciever and at about the same hieght?

are those grey cables to feed the motor(s) ?

if I may offer a suggestion, reroute the inter battery connecting ground wire and pass it under the diehard's + post. the ground looks as if it is sitting on top of the diehard + post. That could spell disaster.

All in all a nice rig Nick. Do you think you'll ever enter a robowar competition?

one day i'm going to make one too. I could have picked up a mobile electric seniors chair the other day. I didnt and now im kinda kickin myself. It was a battle of space and time. I have neither the space or the time right now..
    too many planes and cars and boats and work and homework and life and and and
    Last edited by SignWave; 11-27-2007 at 07:27 PM.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)