Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

turbo38t Guest

Default Angle cutting pipe in the field.....

say I am putting some reinforcement "legs" on a steel structure. I'll take my bevel/angle square and get an angle the I need to cut the pipe at. How can I properly lay this out on a piece of pipe? My pipewrap doesn't seem to lay out the angles properly.....it has angles on it but lays it out oddly. Any opinions? Dave

are ya trying to cut a saddle at an angle (aka fishmouth)? i could tell you about a lil trick that i learned from an old timey fitter that i used to work with.... let me know
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Proper Mitre Cut turns measure off the Centerline of the Pipe - Involve more calculations, and making 3 chalked lines to lay out your cut lines.

I'll let the Pipe Fitters, or Pipeliners explain all that... I don't do it everyday.

To cut a simple 45 on a 3.50" O.D. pipe:

1) Chalk a line around the pipe.

2) Chalk a second line that is 3.50" (Pipe O.D.) apart from the first.

3) Secure pipe so it cannot rotate.

4) Using Wrap-A-Round, chalk lines on pipe that intersect original line at 12 O'clock, and the Second line at 6 O'clock.

You should have parallel lines at the same angle.

No different than taking 6" Flat bar, and measuring 6" to make a 45 angle cut.

Now, if you want to make intersections at other angles than 45, I would suggest you read up on the use of Mitre Turns with Pipe for a full explanation.

Have a Good Day,
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Little short on time, is this what you're doing.....mark with emory paper, fold paper twice in half and crease to find quarter measures, use angle iron along top dead center and bottom dead center, measure back required distance, use wrap top and bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miter cuts on pipe, using a 90 weld elbow. Find your degreed angle. Measure the long side of the elbow. Length of full long side of elbow X the desired degree turn, divide that by 90. Measure the short side of the elbow. Length of the short side X the desired degree, divided by 90. Mark your 2 lengths on the elbow and use a wrap-a-round on your marks. Tack weld this rough cut to the end of a piece of pipe and use a beveling machine to straighten the rough cut up. With practice you will know how much meat to leave on the rough cut to get the exact angle desired when you back bevel.

If you don't have a beveling machine, become friends with your grinder, lol.
    Last edited by b-footn; 04-24-2010 at 07:31 AM.

Old Sparks,

Thanks for the pictures.

You are showing the more "Proper" way of doing a mitre cut, and going a little more in-depth than I was describing... Nice to see the use of cut backs, and passing through the centerline at 3 O'clock, and 9 O'clock...
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 04-24-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

turbo38t Guest

Thanks guys, I like the second from last post with the wrap and lines at 12 and 3/9 o'clock. Basically was putting some legs on a frame . Had to angle cut the pipe to weld flat to the bottom side of a beam. Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    Old Sparks,

Thanks for the pictures.

You are showing the more "Proper" way of doing a mitre cut, and going a little more in-depth than I was describing... Nice to see the use of cut backs, and passing through the centerline at 3 O'clock, and 9 O'clock...