Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sparks in eyes

well its like my buddy at work he was tig welding i think ac tig and some jackass came up behind him and shook him while he was welding well somehow the tungsten went right into his thumb through the glove, but he kept welding and took care of it once the job was done i guess the good thing is it didnt bleed.

If it had been me I might not have bled but the A** hole that done the shaking would have.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

i can understand that

Default sparks in eyes

hey migman69 I watched all the post on this and I agree to some and not to others, you have to remember that your welding and cutting and every other thing that goes with the job and it's to bad that when your welding your hoods down and you hope you can trust the other guys in your work area not to be screwing around or doing something else such as grinding or plasma cutting and it's all going down your neck(SUCKS BIG TIME) I have seen guys wear a hooded sweatshirt under their hoods or like the other guys say take a piece of cloth and tape it to your hood for the time being. Heck I still get crap in my eyes still and most of the time it's just becuase of my self in a rush to get done and don't put my hood down,so the best info I could give tell you is look at your work area and who is doing what then you make the adjustments to that. I had burnt my eyes really bad just from tacking up parts to the point they had to tape them shut for three days and yes my wife went nuts and was saying you should know better then that how long have you been doing this I hope you learned your lesson from this not to menching being off work.

thanks for the input i appreciate it yeah things get hectic sometimes and with your hood down you have limited visiabilty to your surroundings

Sounds to me like he might have been talking about flash. I used to go home with burned eyes about 3 to 4 times a month. Spent a lot of money on hoods thinking they were leaking. Turns out it was from the glare coming off the other guys welding. My dad gave me a pair of safety glasses that were UV coated. It stopped the burned eyes. I started wearing glasses a few years later and have had IR and UV coating put on every pair. I haven't burned my eyes in over 25 years now. Something else that helps is magnetic tape strips inside the hood. You wouldn't believe how much stuff it catches. I get it at walmart in the crafts section.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

magnetic tape huh what exactly does it do catch stray meatal particals or what?

Quote Originally Posted by migman69 View Post
    magnetic tape huh what exactly does it do catch stray meatal particals or what?
    thats what im guessing he meant by it...sounds really smart if it works...

Default sparks in eyes

I will forwarn you - when it comes to safety - I don't suffer fools. If there is someone on a production line that has molten metal flying inside thier hood - call your union rep, that is why you are paying them outragous dues. If that doesn't work call OSHA.

SJMiller

thats good so then your compnay can fire you fro making a bug stink of it.