Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by NoogaD View Post
    Obviously, you would want to use a mouse with Sketchup. If you have one with a wheel like most of them do, panning, zooming and rotating is very easy once you get used to it. Zooming by rolling the mouse wheel in or out. Rotate the drawing by holding the wheel down while moving the mouse. And pan by holding down the shift key and wheel at the same time. The shift and ctrl keys are essential to Sketchup.
    I did not know that about the shift and ctrl keys. I was wondering why such a cool program was giving me so much trouble; couldn't be my fault...

P.I.C.N.I.C. - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer!

Matt.
    "A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Millermatic 135
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Deep Cut Band
    Fully charged fire extinguisher

Matt, I think I discovered that scrolling bit by accident. It frustrated me a lot to have to click the rotate button, then pan, then zoom. Divine intervention or something like that. You can also use the shift to constrain a line. Like when you are drawing something that you want to intersect a different point but you are having trouble getting it to stay on an axis or parallel line. Just find the line, hold shift (you should see the line you are drawing get bold,) then drag to where you want to intersect.

I wish Sketchup had a fillet button. Like Solidworks, you pick the two intersecting lines (or better yet, surfaces) you want to fillet, hit the button and then specify the radius. Easy. Sketchup, you have to know where your fillet radius is going to hit so that you can draw a tangent arc from those two points. Then you have to extrude the fillet along the surface. You can do it, but it's a bit of a challenge. Same with array procedures. You have to copy an item, place it in the end point of the array and then tell it how many times to copy the item, whereas SW it's all in one step.

I'm not sure about the other programs mentioned: Turbo CAD, etc. I tried one of those $99 jobs before using Sketchup and was completely unsatisfied.
    Last edited by NoogaD; 04-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    MillerMatic 252
    Spoolmate 200
    Diversion 165
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
    Delta Drill Press
    Bosch 10" Table Saw
    Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
    Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
    Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

Quote Originally Posted by modela View Post
    Years ago I took a class and mastered (well, sort of) Autocad. It was a tough one. I used it somewhat, but never enough to really get proficient. I had a student version back then and then found it subject to changing computers, planned obsolescence, etc. Pretty soon it was gone.

I picked up autodesk later and used it for a while. Time went by and now I am trying to find an inexpensive, easy to use, CAD program, knowing beyond the basic framework I will need to learn new interfaces and commands

I see guys online doing impressive drawings. So, let me know what your favorite is.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
    Consider DoubleCad. There is a free version available.

One thing that really helped me with Sketchup was YouTube. I would type in bits of questions like "Sketchup dimension drawings" into YouTube search. It's a much faster path to a usable answer than a regular Google search.